shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't freeze dry so I have a question because it never occurred to me before. Does freeze drying destroy some of the vitamin C in the same way that regular dehydrating does? I know it also degrades over time as well which is a good reason to rotate food.

I've read about the effects of scury, especially late stage scurvy because it does kill. The undoing of long healed wounds and bone breaks freaked me out. The fact it was shear dumb luck that guinea pigs were chosen as the scuvy test subjects saved a lot of lives. Since guinea pigs are one of the few other mammals that don't produce their own vitamin C and can also get scurvy but that wasn't known at the time.

Thyroid issues were super common and a huge portion of the population had goiters before they started adding iodine to salt. It's only been done for 98 years.
Vitamin C degrades above 86 degrees, and much worse above 170 degrees. So dehydrating fruit in a Nesco style dehydrator or canning it destroys most of the vitamin C. about 60% of the vitamin C is gone after 30 minutes of heating, so you can imagine how much more is lost after 8 hours in a food dehydrator, or from an old-fashioned marmalade that boils for over an hour and is heated to 220 degrees. https://www.ijstr.org/final-print/n...min-C-Content-Of-Some-Selected-Vegetables.pdf

Freeze drying is much better. No statistical different between vitamin C content of fresh/raw versus freeze-dried food! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...nt reveals that,of this water soluble vitamin.

(FYI, vitamin C also degrades from light exposure)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're a rich country. Mostly it will be price increases and and limited availability.

I already get chicken food whenever I have space and don't let it run low because I never know when the feed I need won't be in stock. It's much more expensive now over last year. The magnets on the treadle feeders have paid for themselves already. I think they were $10 each, but they were bought for their size and weight to make the treadle need more weight to open. Keeps rodents out as the silkies can just open them at 2 pounds. Hubby had suggested taping washers to the lid, but I'd shelled out for the galvanized steel feeders. Magnet doesn't come off and provides the weight.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't eat enough of any chickpeas to be worried. But anyone who eats a lot of hummus can grow chickpeas....or buy some dried while they're out there. 👍. I think bread grains from there will impact more people. 🤷

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stray knowledge kicking in again . Nicotine in small doses is actually good for you . Mmm we call it niacin . Of course to much of a good thing can kill you also .