shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love looking at this type of list and critiquing them. :gig (no seriously I do appreciate them and learn from them too)

My reaction to this one is that it's not adequate nutritionally.

There's enough vitamin C - vitamin C is destroyed by heat, so the only real source of vitamin C is that freeze-dried broccoli. But that #10 can only has enough vitamin C for 11 days. (technically, only enough for 84% of each person's vitamin C need for 11 days). Who wants to scurvy? Add 2 pounds of freeze-dried acerola cherry powder. The serving size for adequate vitamins C intake is like 1/4 teaspoon, and when added to water or tea it has a lovely lemonade-like flavor.

A pint jar of meat contains about 1-1/4 cup of meat. so you're talking 2 oz meat per person, 6 days per week. Have fun with your vitamin B deficiencies and lack of energy.

The wheat is equivalent to 1/3 loaf of bread per person per day, which is too much for some people and not nearly enough for others. Either way, there's not enough thiamine and magnesium to support mitochondria function when the diet is so high in carbs and sugars. This could be remedied by adding stabilized rice bran, garlic powder (in large quantities), allithiamine supplement, and skip white rice, reduce sugar dramatically (10# sugar, or 6 jars molasses).

Do you like being conscious? Then you better add at least 12# of salt, because sodium is not optional. (the SPAM isn't enough sodium, just enough for a low sodium diet one day a week.) 12# salt is for 5,000 mg per day. Yes this is high, but if you're eating low carb or working and sweating, your body needs this much just to keep you conscious/functional. (you can also get a substantial amount of sodium from baking soda or baking powder)

Do you like your thyroid? 'cause there's no iodine source. Add 1# seaweed, iodized salt, or iodine supplement. Dulse flake is a good choice, you need just a sprinkle per day. Red dulse is very pretty sprinkled on food, it reminds me of glitter.

How do you feel about bleeding to death? or bone deformities for the kiddos? osteoporosis? heart attack? nah? you're gonna need some vitamin K. I recommend dehydrated/powdered spinach. If my math is right, 1/4 teaspoon per day will get you that vitamin K, and you'll need 2 quart jars of spinach powder. Vitamin K is heat stable, no need for freeze-dried.

This list is very low fat, enjoy a lack of reproductive hormones, fatigue, increased risk of dementia, poor metabolic health, weight gain, etc. Add hard fats, such as lard and butter, and consider adding olive oil (for cold foods) and/or avocado oil for cooking.

Your body cannot function without adequate nutrition. And no, hard work won't offset poor diet - it will just run you out of your nutritional stores faster.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Canning season is truly upon us. Wide mouth lids are up $1/dozen to $5.99. Glad I have plenty!

i'm not sure yet if we're going to be looking into trying to buy some more jars or not this season. i'm about out after one more round of canning. will probably do some pints if i have to just because we have so many pint jars that aren't being used and we have a lot of regular mouth lids. i don't have many large mouth lids. i may be tempted into just getting some more half gallon jars as i really like how those work for doing tomatoes. wish they were regular mouth jars, but oh well, it's still half the lids.

checked prices at closest Meijers $4.19 for LM and $3.19 for RM jars. cases of Half gallon jars for $14.99 and cases of R quarts are $13.99

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love looking at this type of list and critiquing them. :gig (no seriously I do appreciate them and learn from them too)

My reaction to this one is that it's not adequate nutritionally.

There's enough vitamin C - vitamin C is destroyed by heat, so the only real source of vitamin C is that freeze-dried broccoli. But that #10 can only has enough vitamin C for 11 days. (technically, only enough for 84% of each person's vitamin C need for 11 days). Who wants to scurvy? Add 2 pounds of freeze-dried acerola cherry powder. The serving size for adequate vitamins C intake is like 1/4 teaspoon, and when added to water or tea it has a lovely lemonade-like flavor.

A pint jar of meat contains about 1-1/4 cup of meat. so you're talking 2 oz meat per person, 6 days per week. Have fun with your vitamin B deficiencies and lack of energy.

The wheat is equivalent to 1/3 loaf of bread per person per day, which is too much for some people and not nearly enough for others. Either way, there's not enough thiamine and magnesium to support mitochondria function when the diet is so high in carbs and sugars. This could be remedied by adding stabilized rice bran, garlic powder (in large quantities), allithiamine supplement, and skip white rice, reduce sugar dramatically (10# sugar, or 6 jars molasses).

Do you like being conscious? Then you better add at least 12# of salt, because sodium is not optional. (the SPAM isn't enough sodium, just enough for a low sodium diet one day a week.) 12# salt is for 5,000 mg per day. Yes this is high, but if you're eating low carb or working and sweating, your body needs this much just to keep you conscious/functional. (you can also get a substantial amount of sodium from baking soda or baking powder)

Do you like your thyroid? 'cause there's no iodine source. Add 1# seaweed, iodized salt, or iodine supplement. Dulse flake is a good choice, you need just a sprinkle per day. Red dulse is very pretty sprinkled on food, it reminds me of glitter.

How do you feel about bleeding to death? or bone deformities for the kiddos? osteoporosis? heart attack? nah? you're gonna need some vitamin K. I recommend dehydrated/powdered spinach. If my math is right, 1/4 teaspoon per day will get you that vitamin K, and you'll need 2 quart jars of spinach powder. Vitamin K is heat stable, no need for freeze-dried.

This list is very low fat, enjoy a lack of reproductive hormones, fatigue, increased risk of dementia, poor metabolic health, weight gain, etc. Add hard fats, such as lard and butter, and consider adding olive oil (for cold foods) and/or avocado oil for cooking.

Your body cannot function without adequate nutrition. And no, hard work won't offset poor diet - it will just run you out of your nutritional stores faster.

I don't freeze dry so I have a question because it never occurred to me before. Does freeze drying destroy some of the vitamin C in the same way that regular dehydrating does? I know it also degrades over time as well which is a good reason to rotate food.

I've read about the effects of scury, especially late stage scurvy because it does kill. The undoing of long healed wounds and bone breaks freaked me out. The fact it was shear dumb luck that guinea pigs were chosen as the scuvy test subjects saved a lot of lives. Since guinea pigs are one of the few other mammals that don't produce their own vitamin C and can also get scurvy but that wasn't known at the time.

Thyroid issues were super common and a huge portion of the population had goiters before they started adding iodine to salt. It's only been done for 98 years.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure yet if we're going to be looking into trying to buy some more jars or not this season. i'm about out after one more round of canning. will probably do some pints if i have to just because we have so many pint jars that aren't being used and we have a lot of regular mouth lids. i don't have many large mouth lids. i may be tempted into just getting some more half gallon jars as i really like how those work for doing tomatoes. wish they were regular mouth jars, but oh well, it's still half the lids.

checked prices at closest Meijers $4.19 for LM and $3.19 for RM jars. cases of Half gallon jars for $14.99 and cases of R quarts are $13.99

Regular mouth half gallons are a pain to clean. I have 2 old ones. They only get dry goods now. My brush doesn't reach the bottoms very well and I had to resort to using salt. I know the old timers used sand, but they had sand on hand as it was used for fire suppression.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't freeze dry so I have a question because it never occurred to me before. Does freeze drying destroy some of the vitamin C in the same way that regular dehydrating does? I know it also degrades over time as well which is a good reason to rotate food.

I've read about the effects of scury, especially late stage scurvy because it does kill. The undoing of long healed wounds and bone breaks freaked me out. The fact it was shear dumb luck that guinea pigs were chosen as the scuvy test subjects saved a lot of lives. Since guinea pigs are one of the few other mammals that don't produce their own vitamin C and can also get scurvy but that wasn't known at the time.

Thyroid issues were super common and a huge portion of the population had goiters before they started adding iodine to salt. It's only been done for 98 years.
Vitamin C degrades above 86 degrees, and much worse above 170 degrees. So dehydrating fruit in a Nesco style dehydrator or canning it destroys most of the vitamin C. about 60% of the vitamin C is gone after 30 minutes of heating, so you can imagine how much more is lost after 8 hours in a food dehydrator, or from an old-fashioned marmalade that boils for over an hour and is heated to 220 degrees. https://www.ijstr.org/final-print/n...min-C-Content-Of-Some-Selected-Vegetables.pdf

Freeze drying is much better. No statistical different between vitamin C content of fresh/raw versus freeze-dried food! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...nt reveals that,of this water soluble vitamin.

(FYI, vitamin C also degrades from light exposure)