shortages

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel like I am living in a bubble....the talk of food shortages, feed prices, farmer crisis, etc seems to have vanished. I know, I know, I can still find it if I search the internet and do some leg work but it no longer seems to be mentioned on the news anywhere, which means are people getting a false sense of security or what is happening. (not meaning to start a debate at all--really just thinking in a safe space that I know I can)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Ongoing touchy discussion in this household.

Back in May, there were dire predictions of diesel shortages and other fluids needed for big rigs, to the extent OTR transport would grind to a halt. I doubted the story....

To be fair, I don't know anymore. I earned my IT Project Manager bona-fides in the late 90s Y2K run up. Worked for two clients remediating core IT systems with real issues that would have shut them down. Like a lot of places, good folks working hard behind the scenes to prevent and mitigate issues. We did our jobs, so everyone complained about the expense when "nothing happened". Very frustrating.

For another client, did an assessment review of another vendor findings claiming the need for a massive effort in their systems. Their assessment was wrong and I saved the client several million dollars.

I see both sides. IMHO, some of the noise is coming as a result of the 24/7 news cycle. We have really stopped discussing this topic in our house. 😀

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see both sides. IMHO, some of the noise is coming as a result of the 24/7 news cycle. We have really stopped discussing this topic in our house. 😀
We have too here, just trying to preserve what we have and hope for the best. I was just curious and really just thinking outloud

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom and I have been watching the price of canned veggies going up over the last month.

Hamburger at the grocery store has really gone up. Im now watching for the right primals to go on sale at the restaurant supply. I have a meat grinder and vacuum sealer. Sometimes they get large burger chubs on sale, too. Mom buys that and repackages it to freeze.

I've been grinding burger since hubby got me my first Kitchenaid and attachment back in 2001. Got to pick the right meat type or add extra fat. Chuck works well as is. Sirloin is a bit too dry.

Eye of round is on special this week and I'm thinking we need some jerky. Maybe really dry some plain jerky out and run it through the food processor, then add some of my rendered beef fat. Hubby is really curious about pemican. Not sure if he'd want the dried berries.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel like I am living in a bubble....the talk of food shortages, feed prices, farmer crisis, etc seems to have vanished. I know, I know, I can still find it if I search the internet and do some leg work but it no longer seems to be mentioned on the news anywhere, which means are people getting a false sense of security or what is happening. (not meaning to start a debate at all--really just thinking in a safe space that I know I can)
I was thinking the same. People get tired of hearing it. It's harvest season... but winter is coming. I don't think USA will really be affected any more than our post-2020 norms. But IDK. I stocked up on grain, sunflower seed, cooking oil, chicken feed. Enough to last through the type of shortages we've experienced post-2020, but not enough to last until next year's harvest.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree. Yes, things will be less abundant. That and increased prices for gas, fertilizer, etc, etc....makes less abundant more costly. I personally feel suppliers have overcome the issues of pandemic problems with fewer employees in all areas of the supply chain, so MOST shelves will have product, costing more. 🙄🤷🤞. Panic has leveled.

We have a group that sees things differently than the everyday, in town, tract house family, IMO. I can worry over hay supplies due to drought....in town, a non-issue. They have a dog or cat. 😁. I have 30 goats. 😂🤣. I plant a garden, need seed. I can, consider jars, lids, etc. They buy a cuke or two and a jar of pickles. It's all good. BUT effects are coming for more than a couple of months, prices haven't topped!! Thats why SS people are concerned and preparing.

Plus it's old news. My life wasn't a shambles before, or now. I've always raised livestock, done some gardening, canned, etc. That won't change. Economy is going to be a concern for everyone. Lack of instant availability for something is annoying but cost for major purchases are more annoying!! FENCE.....I can't accept that $$. 😠😱. If I didn't want to buy any, wouldn't care so much. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're a rich country. Mostly it will be price increases and and limited availability.

I already get chicken food whenever I have space and don't let it run low because I never know when the feed I need won't be in stock. It's much more expensive now over last year. The magnets on the treadle feeders have paid for themselves already. I think they were $10 each, but they were bought for their size and weight to make the treadle need more weight to open. Keeps rodents out as the silkies can just open them at 2 pounds. Hubby had suggested taping washers to the lid, but I'd shelled out for the galvanized steel feeders. Magnet doesn't come off and provides the weight.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom and I have been watching the price of canned veggies going up over the last month.

Hamburger at the grocery store has really gone up. Im now watching for the right primals to go on sale at the restaurant supply. I have a meat grinder and vacuum sealer. Sometimes they get large burger chuns on sale, too. Mom buys that and repackages it to freeze.

I've been grinding burger since hubby got me my first Kitchenaid and attachment back in 2001. Got to pick the right meat type or add extra fat. Chuck works well as is. Sirloin is a bit too dry.

Eye of round is on special this week and I'm thinking we need some jerky. Maybe really dry some plain jerky out and run it through the food processor, then add some of my rendered beef fat. Hubby is really curious about pemican. Not sure if he'd want the dried berries.

Which kitchenaid grinder do you have? Plastic or Metal? Do you like it?

Plastic

Metal

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: