shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farm babe and I hung the last of the 2x6-12 for the cattle corral.
IMG_20230422_155350312.jpg

The beginning of the chute is 12 foot by 64 inches. I have two home made heavy duty 10 foot gates my neighbor gave me to hang on the end for the squeeze. I can also chain those to the livestock trailer for loading and unloading. I will need another man to help me hang them though. Farmbabe can't lift an end of them, they are heavy duty.
IMG_20230422_155414098.jpg

So I seen this janky gate laying down at the end of a drive way a few years ago. I pulled up in the driveway and honked my horn (which is country for hello you got a visitor). Farmer came out of the barn and I asked if I could have that janky gate. He said absolutely, that's why I drug it down there hoping someone would take it. He said I was very polite for asking. Well yeah it's not mine until you give it to me. I ain't just gonna take it 😂 Anyways it's 14 foot long. A little sawsall action and minor fabrication and I'll have two free 64 inch gates to close off both ends of the chute.
IMG_20230422_155737569.jpg

I think I got a plan for the corral, chute and removable squeeze.

Looking at ideas to build a pinch. But not needed anytime soon. (Internet picture - not mine).
Screenshot_20230422-200532.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The head catch that you showed is similar to what we have at the one barn. One difference that I would make is that the upright you pull to tighten should not have a chain at the top.... drill several holes in the upright and the board across the front to give you several different sizes to put a large long bolt through. We use a long carriage bolt. If an animal panics, getting the chain off could be difficult whereas a bolt would be much easier to pull out with only putting a smidgeon of pressure against the upright... it could be the difference in an animal getting hung when you can't get the chain off... Also. the bottom could be adjustable to 2-3 different widths... calves will put their heads down and if too wide at the bottom will pull through... ours has a bolt and nut, through the bottom so we can make it 2 different widths at the bottom ... one for smaller calves and one for the bigger ones... but it should be at least a bit smaller at the bottom than where you pull the top across to tighten. Necks are bigger at the top than the bottom so it needs to be a bit of a V shape to hold them tight. Ever see an old type stanchion ? Same idea... tighten at the top according to the size of the animal's neck... They work great if you only have to catch an occasional animal... the biggest drawback is the individual animal has to back out so you can't have any one waiting behind to be next in the catch...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Friend and I hung the 10 foot swinging squeeze. The gates are made with steel plumbing pipe and welded together, they are heavy duty, free is free 👍
IMG_20230423_161936077~3.jpg

I believe these should work well for occasional loading by chaining the ends to the livestock trailer and also eventually to a portable pinch.

The length of the chute is 12 foot, plus 10 foot for the swinging squeeze is 22 foot total. I think that's plenty long enough for our little herd.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So that free janky gate made two good 62" gates. It took a while with hand tools and handful of bolts, washers and nuts, but they are done. The right one needs hinges which I have (also salvaged). But I had enough fun for one day. 😂 No matter what I did, the gates would need to be custom anyways. They don't sell 5 foot gates at the farm store.

Before
IMG_20230422_155737569.jpg

After
IMG_20230428_162906526.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The head catch that you showed is similar to what we have at the one barn. One difference that I would make is that the upright you pull to tighten should not have a chain at the top.... drill several holes in the upright and the board across the front to give you several different sizes to put a large long bolt through. We use a long carriage bolt. If an animal panics, getting the chain off could be difficult whereas a bolt would be much easier to pull out with only putting a smidgeon of pressure against the upright... it could be the difference in an animal getting hung when you can't get the chain off... Also. the bottom could be adjustable to 2-3 different widths... calves will put their heads down and if too wide at the bottom will pull through... ours has a bolt and nut, through the bottom so we can make it 2 different widths at the bottom ... one for smaller calves and one for the bigger ones... but it should be at least a bit smaller at the bottom than where you pull the top across to tighten. Necks are bigger at the top than the bottom so it needs to be a bit of a V shape to hold them tight. Ever see an old type stanchion ? Same idea... tighten at the top according to the size of the animal's neck... They work great if you only have to catch an occasional animal... the biggest drawback is the individual animal has to back out so you can't have any one waiting behind to be next in the catch...

Been thinking about a design for a neck pinch. I'm stuck on having to have the cattle back out of it. I would rather they be released and go forward. I'm pretty sure I have the lever pinch part figured out and adjustable for different sized cattle. if it not right It's just wood build it better the second time.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After church a friend and I hung the gates for the chute. The inner gate has a back stop to prevent it from swinging backwards. I think this gated chute will come in handy for temporary holding a head of cattle critters.

IMG_20230430_194342239.jpg

IMG_20230430_194440467.jpg

When not in use, I decided to just tie them to the inside partition with a length of rope and a slip knot, you know, low tech 😁
IMG_20230430_194059226.jpg

Hopefully you can see the plan, it's a U shape. I still have brace the 4 board sections with a /|\ style bracing. But that should be easy enough, It's just wood.

My granddaughters said I need to put on a top board, so they can climb up there and sit down. Maybe I need to get them cow girl hats 🤠 also ❤️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I'm calling this cattle corral done. It's stiff with the bracing. I don't think a full grown bull could bust through this. Nor an entire foot ball defensive line. I may turn the grand babies loose on it, with some barn red oil based paint or maybe not.
IMG_20230501_123605998~2.jpg

I hope you enjoy your day, it's a beautiful one here. Thank You, Almighty 👆

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess I'm.back to eating cold cereal. Farm babe had some in her hand and said try this, she calls it granola almond hunny cereal. I tried it and It's very good, she had me eating out of her hand 😂. She said when it cools off I'm putting it in this gallon pickle jar. I said something this good needs a fancy box to read in the morning. She put her hands on her hips, let out a sigh and pointed at the pickle jar on the counter ❤️. Home made cereal from a pickle jar, I'm totally cool with that.
IMG_20230502_222942922~2.jpg