shortages

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dual purpose chickens won’t work. Have 2 customers that want that big white breast meat. DD and family, same way. So we’ll see how it all settles out.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With all the cornish x I raised, they did just fine on starter and then transitioned over to layer. I get it by the ton and save... we get it delivered when we get a delivery of cattle pellets also. Different prices different places. I never had leg problems with the cornish x with them outside on the ground and getting plenty of exercise. They grow a little slower on the layer maybe.... but also did not have the leg problems from getting too much protein feed. Also, feed some scratch feed. makes them exercise also.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is the main reason I didn't get CCX this year, feed prices. The freezer could use some more chicken. But I need to figure out a more economical way to feed them. Anyone who's raised them knows, they eat A LOT.
View attachment 23149

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
i usually fees them game bird. its almost $30 a bag

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You might be able to source free/expired dog and cat food for chicken feed. IDK if it's okay for chicks (but probably it's like chick ultrakibble!) long-term, 100% of diet. But it's great for short-term or to stretch chicken feed. Less expensive to feed a lower protein chicken feed with a cat food for protein even if it's not free cat food.

I used to get buggy dog treats for free when the pet store emptied their bulk bins. Chickens adored them! Sometimes I get buggy cat/dog food for free from the pet food pantry at the local shelter!

Someday I need to write a letter to the local grocery store to get culled produce for my animals. They do a good job of marking down their "ugly" produce so I don't think they would have an overwhelming amount.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might be able to source free/expired dog and cat food for chicken feed. IDK if it's okay for chicks (but probably it's like chick ultrakibble!) long-term, 100% of diet. But it's great for short-term or to stretch chicken feed. Less expensive to feed a lower protein chicken feed with a cat food for protein even if it's not free cat food.

I used to get buggy dog treats for free when the pet store emptied their bulk bins. Chickens adored them! Sometimes I get buggy cat/dog food for free from the pet food pantry at the local shelter!

Someday I need to write a letter to the local grocery store to get culled produce for my animals. They do a good job of marking down their "ugly" produce so I don't think they would have an overwhelming amount.

just keep an eye out for potential infestations getting established...