shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been in the lookout for a KitchenAid all metal grain mill attachment (KGM). I found one on sale for decent price plus free shipping, I received it today. With minor modifications, I got it to flake whole kernel dried corn, as well as grind hard wheat berries into flour. Seems well built and will work for what I want it to do.
View attachment 23127

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
After modifications I made yesterday and tweaking it in. It flakes 25 lbs of dried whole corn kernels in under 30 minutes. This includes me getting 25 lbs of corn from the barn and getting attacked with love by my neighbors black lab minnie or mini. I didn't rush anything either. I'm happy with it.

25 lbs flaked corn in 6 1/2 gallon brew bucket.
IMG_20230418_160256491.jpg

@baymule this is what one would make shine from. If one was to make shine. Me? I'm marbling beef. Ephesians 5:18

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the main reason I didn't get CCX this year, feed prices. The freezer could use some more chicken. But I need to figure out a more economical way to feed them. Anyone who's raised them knows, they eat A LOT.
IMG_20230315_173958553.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BUT the major producers are contracting feed by tons&tons! We homesteaders can't. Huge price differences. 😟 Ya know, you can raise heavy dual purpose chickens...free range and feed. Yeah, they take longer, maybe smaller and less tender but way more economical. Want fryers? Just up feed a few and butcher younger. The old way....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But the feed prices affect all producers of meat chickens. :idunno
You can get a 5% discount if you buy a pallet of 40 bags. I would need to figure out how many CCX you could raise on 2000 lbs of feed. But my common sense tells me it's still simply too expensive.