shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Does anyone follow market reports? I follow produce occasionally instead of using a price book strategy. I can see what it is in shorter supply (higher prices) and why up to 2 weeks before it's noticed in stores. The report notes growing problems, labor/shipping problems and packaging shortages.

This can also be used to pick whether to buy canned/frozen or fresh vegetables any given week.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone follow market reports? I follow produce occasionally instead of using a price book strategy. I can see what it is in shorter supply (higher prices) and why up to 2 weeks before it's noticed in stores. The report notes growing problems, labor/shipping problems and packaging shortages.

This can also be used to pick whether to buy canned/frozen or fresh vegetables any given week.
Thanks for sharing, I didn't even know this existed. I will be watching this over the next 4-5 months as our fresh veggies/fruits will no longer be during the winter months.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
anyone ever use any of the bulk produce delivery options out there (Misfits, Imperfect, etc)? I was just wondering if it is a good program or not? We can a lot but to have some fresh produce during the winter months without having to go to the store AND keep it from being thrown out (and maybe save a bit of $$) I was wondering if it was worth it or not.

And if there have been any shortages, lack of variety of items or delivery issues due to what is going on with shipping/shortages?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
anyone ever use any of the bulk produce delivery options out there (Misfits, Imperfect, etc)? I was just wondering if it is a good program or not? We can a lot but to have some fresh produce during the winter months without having to go to the store AND keep it from being thrown out (and maybe save a bit of $$) I was wondering if it was worth it or not.

And if there have been any shortages, lack of variety of items or delivery issues due to what is going on with shipping/shortages?
I have used Misfits Market for a year. When grocery shortages / high prices are due to irregular sizes or blemishes, the Misfits/Imperfect have plenty at low prices.

I mostly use Misfits Market for variety. I'm in rural WI and the produce sections are bleak. Misfits changed from bulk boxes to an online store. It has not been as good of a value since, but it works better for people with food allergy/sensitivity/strong preferences. It's not usually a good place for bulk quantities, but sometimes there are excellent prices on seasonal items. Misfits has more packaged food options than produce. Occasionally the prices are higher than Walmart. But most of the time I can get specialty items that are unavailable in my area at decent prices. For example, they frequently have the only kind of "bought" bread I can eat without getting sick - at half the price of Amazon.

If you get Misfits/Imperfect, plan to spend your delivery day processing and preserving. They have a shorter shelf life than perfect produce.

Misfits just has a minimum order, I think it is $30 or $35. If you don't put that much in your box, then you just don't get the next box.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used Misfits Market for a year. When grocery shortages / high prices are due to irregular sizes or blemishes, the Misfits/Imperfect have plenty at low prices.

I mostly use Misfits Market for variety. I'm in rural WI and the produce sections are bleak. Misfits changed from bulk boxes to an online store. It has not been as good of a value since, but it works better for people with food allergy/sensitivity/strong preferences. It's not usually a good place for bulk quantities, but sometimes there are excellent prices on seasonal items. Misfits has more packaged food options than produce. Occasionally the prices are higher than Walmart. But most of the time I can get specialty items that are unavailable in my area at decent prices. For example, they frequently have the only kind of "bought" bread I can eat without getting sick - at half the price of Amazon.

If you get Misfits/Imperfect, plan to spend your delivery day processing and preserving. They have a shorter shelf life than perfect produce.

Misfits just has a minimum order, I think it is $30 or $35. If you don't put that much in your box, then you just don't get the next box.
Awesome thanks for the info!!!! We don't have a super close store with quality foods either and we have a few allergies in our house.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

I've just noticed avocado prices are up because of shipping situation. Other than that Misfits seems their-normal prices. Avocado price is up at grocery stores too. Walmart's organic avocado were less than Misfits this week.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info!!!! We don't have a super close store with quality foods either and we have a few allergies in our house.
Beware, it is possible that Misfits packaged foods *could* be in the food waste stream because of undeclared allergen. That happened to me once. Couldnt figure out why my mouth was burning and I felt ill. DH tried it and tasted coconut (allergen).

I dont try new brand-name or non-organic products from them now. I have my favorite safe foods and thats good enough.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beware, it is possible that Misfits packaged foods *could* be in the food waste stream because of undeclared allergen. That happened to me once. Couldnt figure out why my mouth was burning and I felt ill. DH tried it and tasted coconut (allergen).

I dont try new brand-name or non-organic products from them now. I have my favorite safe foods and thats good enough.
Good to know!!!