shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For everyone who cans with reused jars, have you guys tried canning wax with it? I’m always a little iffy on those seals, wondered if the wax would help.

we have enough jars with those kinds of lids that i can reuse them two or three times and the seals usually work ok. when they no longer work i send the jar and lid off to the recycler.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For everyone who cans with reused jars, have you guys tried canning wax with it? I’m always a little iffy on those seals, wondered if the wax would help.
My Mom used to use wax to seal her jelly. She used whatever jars she had, saved peanut butter jars and others. When she opened a jar, she had to break the wax with a knife to get it out.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have done jelly many times with wax seals. They used to make jelly jars just for wax sealing. Now they want you to put jelly in the water bath.... HUH?????..... If the jar is hot, the jelly is hot, lids are hot, you pour in the jelly, clean top edge, put on lid, screw on band, turn upside down on dish towel on counter... get the batch done and flip back over and the tops will nearly all pop with the seal. I have never put jelly in the water bath canner.

Have seen some wide mouth lids at Walmart.... bands and lid combos in regular... a fair number of jars right now... my Ace hardware has had lids in both sizes. I have plenty stockpiled.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jars and lids.....I'm good for 2022!! 😁

Both grandma's did as @ Farmerjan says. I've done jelly that way! Still here, so it works. Remember that stuff is scalding! Plus sugar is a preservative.

Not seeing shortages here, occasionally some lighter stocks. But I'm full at the house.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mom did that. It worked but we had to dig out a layer of wax off the top. I guess she was feeling totally old school at the time. I reuse my lids just like they would be new. I might have one that doesn’t seal but that’s the first one we eat 🤷‍♀️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seeing jars, seeing limited lid/ring sets. The simple lid is hard to find, esp wide mouth. I check every store I'm in that sells. 😁 expensive! 50 cent a lid!

wide mouth lids were $5/dozen at the one store, i didn't check the other store that advertizes they have lids.

note i am not affiliated with Meijers in any way, it is often a bit more expensive than Wallysworld and some people shop there instead because they don't like Wally's business practices.

Meijer's ships:

"

Meijer delivery from Shipt.​

Since partnering with Shipt in 2016, Meijer has rolled out Shipt same-day delivery services across the midwestern US. The Michigan-based grocery store currently serves customers at more than 242 locations in 6 states including Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin, giving Meijer customers convenient access to all the products they love."

i'm not sure how this works as i've never done it, but perhaps it will be ok for others who are feeling a pinch?