shortages

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh ok must just be the canned food. I don’t buy canned, so wouldn’t have noticed!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow, I was at a grocery store and Menards today. Toaster Strudel was the only shelf wiped out. That's been for a couple weeks. They are receiving product and it's on sale. IDK what's going on there. That one brand ricotta cheese still out of stock - 4 months now? 5 months? Organic/grassfed milk was still low in stock, but not out of stock. Organic cream was back in stock at a higher price. (really high)

I didn't notice anything else. Menards grocery section was normal.

oh, here ya go! Seems to not be just your store: https://www.waow.com/news/shortages...cle_7054109c-7409-11ec-a226-3bb885883fa7.html
When all this plandemic started, if you remember, alot of dairy farmers had to dump thousands of gallons of milk because they had nowhere to sell it. Alot if them didnt breed the cows back, which you have to do to get them to produce milk. Ive read that many went out of business or sold thier herd.
The sad thing is, many of our farmers, whether in dairy or other areas of agruculture, are being forced out due to government regulations or the high costs of operating a farm. Many barely break even. People think because of the high costs if meat or other products that the farmers are making a killing, when in reality, they are in deep debt.
Everything you eat, alot if what you wear, is because of a farmer who works 24/7 and 365 days a year. If something isnt done soon, we will be importing food from countries that dont have the strict regulations we have here. Think about that.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh ok must just be the canned food. I don’t buy canned, so wouldn’t have noticed!
Besides the tin used for canned food, there are issues with certain ingrediants that are needed for cat food production. Cats food has certain vitamins and minerals they need for health reasons. I cant remember exactly what they are.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The farmers are struggling! Store price increases are not getting to THEM. So many "along the way" issues from grown to shelves....paper to food. It's frustrating but our supply chain is not doing well. Look at vehicles. A computer chip is shutting down factories.

Resetting dairy sections yesterday in stores, saw almost NO canned biscuits...🤣 What? A run on those? It's crazy.

While I shop little beyond feed stores, I do work in other stores. I did buy a frozen pizza last week with ok choices. :lol: maybe that was a score. Mostly, I'm eating well from freezer and cabinets. No shortages here at home.

Whats got me concerned are the weather extremes and 2022 garden issues that might be. I'm preparing for dealing with that. Have plenty natural fertilizers 🤪 And water at close proximity, shade can happen. Plant stress is to be watched. :old garden time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When all this plandemic started, if you remember, alot of dairy farmers had to dump thousands of gallons of milk because they had nowhere to sell it. Alot if them didnt breed the cows back, which you have to do to get them to produce milk. Ive read that many went out of business or sold thier herd.
The sad thing is, many of our farmers, whether in dairy or other areas of agruculture, are being forced out due to government regulations or the high costs of operating a farm. Many barely break even. People think because of the high costs if meat or other products that the farmers are making a killing, when in reality, they are in deep debt.
Everything you eat, alot if what you wear, is because of a farmer who works 24/7 and 365 days a year. If something isnt done soon, we will be importing food from countries that dont have the strict regulations we have here. Think about that.
Dumping milk and small farms selling out is nothing new. Dairy farming is a mess, won't deny that, but not because of the pandemic. After the initial hiccup in 2020, the pandemic increased demand for dairy and ended up being a net success for dairy.

Grassfed dairy is always in short supply in winter, but the demand increased more in the last year so it has been hard for the smaller grassfed farms to keep up. It's the fastest-growing dairy market share.

I've been buying local, but the farm changed their feed in some way and the last bottle was unpalatable. We're used to variations in flavor of grassfed milk, but this one was truly awful. So I switched back to the grocery store. Ended up paying $14.50 for a gallon, since the higher priced milk was the only one in stock (and only 1 gallon left). And no, that's not inflation, it's been that price for year(s).

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apparently Pillsbury is having issues. Maybe for long enough people will figure out that homemade biscuits are fast, easy, and actually taste decent. :lol:
WHAT! That would mean they would have to buy all the other staples and not just bang a can on the counter. lol There wasn't a lot of salt in the baking section yesterday, glad I have a few boxes

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Locally, I dunno. The local butcher shops are well stocked. Wally World was a little low Sunday, but it was after a 48 hour major snow event with the usual milk/bread/eggs/TP pre storm rush. Plus a lot of the area had travel restrictions during the storm. Chain grocery store was well stocked.

Maybe we are lucky here, multiple cross country trucking/shipping routes pass through the area. Which is also why we have so many drug and human trafficking busts almost weekly 😢

Latest posts