shortages

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to move near Amish country? Seriously. Hand cut lumber, self sufficient neighbors who could teach you a ton, local food sources...
I do live near the 4th largest community in the States. You would be surprised how modern they are. They run their own sawmills, have cell phones, and the Friday night Walmart runs are entertaining to watch. Good and bad people in every community. The "rules" are followed, but the grey area is huge

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to move near Amish country? Seriously. Hand cut lumber, self sufficient neighbors who could teach you a ton, local food sources...
I think it sounds better in practice than reality. Amish folk shop at grocery stores and eat the same junk food we do. They have a low level of education, unfortunately. You'd do better with youtube and learning to operate small gas power engines to replace electricity. They're not a healthy population so IDK how much is worth copying? I'm not anti-Amish, btw. I admire them a lot, but don't idolize their lifestyle either.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I do live near the 4th largest community in the States. You would be surprised how modern they are. They run their own sawmills, have cell phones, and the Friday night Walmart runs are entertaining to watch. Good and bad people in every community. The "rules" are followed, but the grey area is huge
I had to check on community size. There community near me is small. I couldn't find recent data, but in 2003 there were 15 Amish household with 78 individuals. I'm sure it's more than that now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our Amish friends were very intelligent with regards to the proper use of God's provisions. It was a tremendous learning opportunity for me. This kind of stuff isn't taught in universities. It's been passed down throughout the generations. I have shared very little of what I learned and probably won't ever share anymore than I already have, out of respect for the Amish community.

Nobody is perfect, everyone has their faults. The Amish are just like us, they are imperfect. Because they teach humility, they will be the first to tell you they are imperfect. At least that's how our Amish friends were. We are planning to visit them this spring or early summer. Letters through USPS only go so far.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm certain everyone has seen the crop fails in FL with citrus and temps. I'm not a big OJ person, so not an issue for me but if you are...buy now and freeze!

EVERYTHING is increasing in price. At work today I did resets with the prices of canned biscuits going up 20%...Luncheon meats, don't ask! ;) of course we know, hate, endure, grumble, do without. Grow your own. This IS the year to do it. Find friends with whom you can share/trade products. And it's not just food...I share animal fertilizers with a friend for their garden. It's golden! Time, a talent, etc. Barter is alive and well.