shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are people here that would buy a pallet of them at those prices ....
My friends here that make apple butter and sell at the Fall apple butter festival here at the old grist mill I used to work at, go through over 40 dozen jars.... that would be quite a savings for them. Too bad I am not planning a trip to Texas soon....that's about $4/doz less than here....

looks like someone over-ordered or they found the secret stash that someone hid in a warehouse someplace.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha I know very little about the stock market, I’m afraid I wouldn’t have much to contribute! I just find it interesting to learn what makes things happen.

i've always been pretty facinated by the concepts and how it has gone historically up until now and of course all the various crashes, shenanigans, etc. that have happened. whenever large amounts of $ are involved there are always people interested in trying out ways to game the system.

if you can take some time to read there are probably plenty of explanations available on youtube or books at the library. i can't remember the first book i read on the subject but it was probably _How to Buy Stocks_ by Engel and Boyd. it doesn't cover everything in depth because there's a lot of new things happening these days with investments but i've tended to avoid the complicated stuff and stuck to what i know. the larger issue really is how to manage finances in general and that's a bigger topic.

being a steady investor over your entire life really gives you a longer term perspective. if you can't relax about having money at risk there are various ways of reducing the risk but the risk is never zero. that's the same with buying a house/land or having money in the bank or even stuffing it under the mattress. inflation is also a risk. so overall it's a matter of figuring out how much you can tolerate risking and how much time you have to work with. the more time you have the easier it is (because then you can start out investing smaller amounts and take time to learn more).

so far what i've experienced is that you get some really good buying opportunities every 5-10 years and that it doesn't hurt to keep some money set aside for just those things to happen, plus also keeping your eyes open for companies that you really like what they do.

what the stock market lets a person do is pretty much buy a part of a company (and thus the labor of all the people who work for them), but the interesting thing is that you normally are not buying any risk beyond your investment so even if the company goes under you're not on the hook for anything else (whether this is a good thing is a philosophical conversation i have with myself at times). so instead of limiting your income to the job you have for yourself you can get other income coming in from all sorts of diverse sources (including around the world).

hmm, yes, this is more interesting than doing taxes. :) i better get back to what i need to get done here. haha!

oh and i forgot to talk about commissions, that is what you pay a broker to trade a stock. these days you can find no-fee brokers for most common stocks. it's good to do that if you're ok with trading for yourself. the brokerage makes their money by charging fees for their other services and some of the other things that brokers can do like selling options and funds and ... well, all sorts of things. when i first started out it did cost a certain amount per trade and that of course did influence what you did. i've never been a frequent trader so even now that i don't have a commission charge i still don't trade that much.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
i've always been pretty facinated by the concepts and how it has gone historically up until now and of course all the various crashes, shenanigans, etc. that have happened. whenever large amounts of $ are involved there are always people interested in trying out ways to game the system.

if you can take some time to read there are probably plenty of explanations available on youtube or books at the library. i can't remember the first book i read on the subject but it was probably _How to Buy Stocks_ by Engel and Boyd. it doesn't cover everything in depth because there's a lot of new things happening these days with investments but i've tended to avoid the complicated stuff and stuck to what i know. the larger issue really is how to manage finances in general and that's a bigger topic.

being a steady investor over your entire life really gives you a longer term perspective. if you can't relax about having money at risk there are various ways of reducing the risk but the risk is never zero. that's the same with buying a house/land or having money in the bank or even stuffing it under the mattress. inflation is also a risk. so overall it's a matter of figuring out how much you can tolerate risking and how much time you have to work with. the more time you have the easier it is (because then you can start out investing smaller amounts and take time to learn more).

so far what i've experienced is that you get some really good buying opportunities every 5-10 years and that it doesn't hurt to keep some money set aside for just those things to happen, plus also keeping your eyes open for companies that you really like what they do.

what the stock market lets a person do is pretty much buy a part of a company (and thus the labor of all the people who work for them), but the interesting thing is that you normally are not buying any risk beyond your investment so even if the company goes under you're not on the hook for anything else (whether this is a good thing is a philosophical conversation i have with myself at times). so instead of limiting your income to the job you have for yourself you can get other income coming in from all sorts of diverse sources (including around the world).

hmm, yes, this is more interesting than doing taxes. :) i better get back to what i need to get done here. haha!

oh and i forgot to talk about commissions, that is what you pay a broker to trade a stock. these days you can find no-fee brokers for most common stocks. it's good to do that if you're ok with trading for yourself. the brokerage makes their money by charging fees for their other services and some of the other things that brokers can do like selling options and funds and ... well, all sorts of things. when i first started out it did cost a certain amount per trade and that of course did influence what you did. i've never been a frequent trader so even now that i don't have a commission charge i still don't trade that much.
Maybe you should start a separate thread. I'm in

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was just in town early this evening 😳
IMG_20220225_195210017.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: