shortages

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been giving my dog scrambled eggs instead of canned dog food. Gotta save the canned food in case her health declines.

I noticed pet food has been extra bare lately at walmart. Local pet store was better stocked.

Ive been giving Athena some stew as well. She only eats 2.5 cups of food a day anyway. All the animals get eggs here. The cats will eat some.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ive been giving Athena some stew as well. She only eats 2.5 cups of food a day anyway. All the animals get eggs here. The cats will eat some.
Nice! Benefits of smaller pets! My dogs eat 16 - 20 cups of kibble per day. If I had to switch to feeding meat/raw/homemade food it would be like 12# of meat per day. 😣 that would be unsustainable in shtf situation. Really makes a person think...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do they like lamb? 🙄

In a SHTF a LOT of people would be in trouble with some of their animals and livestock. I'd be hiking nomadic style with my goats to forage the ditch banks, woods and fallow winter fields that were not with a winter crops!

It's a real eye opener.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also got 1.60 hr minimum wage WAAAAAAY back when. Baby sitting was $.75 hr... and if over 2 kids got 1.00.... had 3 families that got together and I would get all the kids ... 5 total... for 1.50 hour... all at one house so the parents could get together at another house... that sort of thing. Worked great. Feed for my horse was about $6.00/100 lbs.... hay was 2.00 bale.... So think how much the hay has NOT gone up in 50 years.....got the horse when I was 15... pushing late 60's now...

Was down to 32 this morning, cold.... some sun but is getting cloudier and supposed to have showers again this aft/eve.... colder the next 2 nights with some frost.... then up to 80 by Wednesday... :ep
:th

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice! Benefits of smaller pets! My dogs eat 16 - 20 cups of kibble per day. If I had to switch to feeding meat/raw/homemade food it would be like 12# of meat per day. 😣 that would be unsustainable in shtf situation. Really makes a person think...

She's a 90 pound German shepherd. She was on 3 cups but was getting too fat because she doesn't move much since Zeus died. Her ribs were getting harder to feel. Her back legs don't work as well now and the vet doesn't want any more weight added. She doesnt always eat it all.

She gets a nightly meat jerky snack as well. She cannot have wheat so she's been eating regular Kirkland Signature or Taste of the Wild since she was a puppy. I've always used a marked measuring cup for food.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting 20% chicken feeds is still dicey here. It's usually a take whatever all flock one might or might not be in stock. It's a bit better on layer feed, but worse for chick feed. Chicks do just fine on any all flock crumble.

I couldn't get crumble last year and had to blend pellets and sift them with my soil screens for the chicks.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In between here, as minimum wage was $3.35/hour when I graduated high school. Was too low for me, so I had a waitress job where I made an average of $5.00 per hour.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting 20% chicken feeds is still dicey here. It's usually a take whatever all flock one might or might not be in stock. It's a bit better on layer feed, but worse for chick feed. Chicks do just fine on any all flock crumble.

I couldn't get crumble last year and had to blend pellets and sift them with my soil screens for the chicks.
What about fermenting the pellets into a mash, if you can’t find crumbles this year?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My biggest problem with fermenting is having absolutely no place to do it. We live in a very small house. I'd have pickle crocks and sauerkraut going if I had enough space. We need to build a shop and then I can commandeer a section for things.
This is me too, very little counter space and no closets!