shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm good with my supply of oils and my home rendere d and canned lard. Goat soapers will be in trouble! 🤫. In fact ALL soaps, body wash and shampoos are skyrocketing. I saw it on price strips doing those resets this week.

I use a lot of sunflower seeds for animals feed....growing some but, it will become a luxury, just can't grow enough. It's already at $26 for 40#. Was $15.last summer.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think I'm good with my supply of oils and my home rendere d and canned lard. Goat soapers will be in trouble! 🤫. In fact ALL soaps, body wash and shampoos are skyrocketing. I saw it on price strips doing those resets this week.

I use a lot of sunflower seeds for animals feed....growing some but, it will become a luxury, just can't grow enough. It's already at $26 for 40#. Was $15.last summer.
I was thinking about soap prices too. Not just soap, but pretty much all hygiene products are very dependent upon palm oil ingredients.

I have a book on how to make soap... might use it this year. For now I've been buying locally made lye/lard soap so I don't expect to be affected. DH uses commercial bar soap and shampoo so I should buy an extra pack before prices get too much higher.

I use facial products in plant-derived squalane, which is likely to be affected. However, the active ingredient isn't very stable so I can't stock up.

I don't know how much soap and shampoo to stock. I don't want to buy an excessive amount an contribute to shortages, but I don't think this shortage will resolve quickly.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Lesson learned from 2020: stock alternate products if you rely on them. If laundry detergent goes up in price or is in short supply, washing soda and borax will be in demand. They are a less popular product that is more sensitive to panic buying and supply chain woes.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was thinking about soap prices too. Not just soap, but pretty much all hygiene products are very dependent upon palm oil ingredients.

I have a book on how to make soap... might use it this year. For now I've been buying locally made lye/lard soap so I don't expect to be affected. DH uses commercial bar soap and shampoo so I should buy an extra pack before prices get too much higher.

I use facial products in plant-derived squalane, which is likely to be affected. However, the active ingredient isn't very stable so I can't stock up.

I don't know how much soap and shampoo to stock. I don't want to buy an excessive amount an contribute to shortages, but I don't think this shortage will resolve quickly.

for deoderant i've been using aloe vera gel instead and it has been working out great. i used to spray some apple cider vinegar on my shirt pits to help out, but in the past few weeks i've stopped doing that and it is still working ok.

the funny thing is that i found out that commercial deoderants make my pits stink worse (aside from the issues i have from the smells or skin rashes).

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really, everyone should look at what they use/like, alternatives and what they could do without! I can make bread cheaply. I use my own goat milk soap...have a good supply and product to make a couple hundred bars. Not buying things on that aisle 🤣

Extra oils for truck, tractor...yes!...couple more filters...yes! A can of brake fluid. A jug of power steering fluids. Things I like to have on hand...but a little extra on oils now.

Some high alc, cheap vodka...to make tinctures if needed, have herbs. I have extra alcohol and peroxides. Pain relief, bandages. Etc. These are just items beyond food to be considered, by all of us. I supply self with enough for animal use. I'll add a fresh, long dated bottle of oxytet and Penn, etc.

I'll be sure to freeze some milk later in year, will make some cheeses, etc. But I do that most anytime, anyway. 🤷. Will possibly keep 2 does in milk all winter. Often I dry all off because I hate to milk Jan/ Feb with the weather.😔. So I might consider milking through on 2 this year and rest them summer '23 to rebreed in Fall. It really depends on how the world turns in the next 6 months! I think that has everyone on high alert. 🙄🤞

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
for deoderant i've been using aloe vera gel instead and it has been working out great. i used to spray some apple cider vinegar on my shirt pits to help out, but in the past few weeks i've stopped doing that and it is still working ok.

the funny thing is that i found out that commercial deoderants make my pits stink worse (aside from the issues i have from the smells or skin rashes).
I agree completely about commercial deodorants (especially when combined with body wash or shampoo run-off!). That's a recipe for foul body odor and becoming dependent on "hygiene" products!

I used to be dependent on antiperspirant and body wash, but I've been able to get off of them and balance my skin microbiome so I don't stink (very much or very often).

I don't use much product now. I use alum crystal maybe once a week or if I will be in a situation where I expect to sweat more than I want. Sometimes I use baking soda (brush off any excess to avoid skin irritation) or hand sanitizer if the skin microbiome gets "off" and there's odor.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Some high alc, cheap vodka...to make tinctures if needed, have herbs.
The current situation might affect glycerin price and/or availability. Glycerin is derived from cheap fats, often coconut or palm oil. However, it can be made from animal fats or petroleum, so it might be less affected, or it might be temporarily affected while manufacturers switch to glycerin derived from non-plant oils.

@Medicine Woman