shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Good to get an update!

The article didn't mention quality concerns with Ball lids in 2020/2021. I wonder how much that affected the situation. It also didn't discuss the off-brand lids - some of which are low-quality with thin sealant.

"The only retailers selling boxes of canning lids are Walmart and Ace Hardware stores, but not all of them." This isn't correct / current. They're at other retailers, like Menards and Farm & Fleet in the midwest.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to get an update!

The article didn't mention quality concerns with Ball lids in 2020/2021. I wonder how much that affected the situation. It also didn't discuss the off-brand lids - some of which are low-quality with thin sealant.

"The only retailers selling boxes of canning lids are Walmart and Ace Hardware stores, but not all of them." This isn't correct / current. They're at other retailers, like Menards and Farm & Fleet in the midwest.
I haven't seen any lids at the Menards or Fleet Fam (Farm and Fleet for some) by us, only jars and other canning supplies (pickling spices, lime etc) but cool if they are other places. I have only seen them at WalMart and Ace here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I haven't seen any lids at the Menards or Fleet Fam (Farm and Fleet for some) by us, only jars and other canning supplies (pickling spices, lime etc) but cool if they are other places. I have only seen them at WalMart and Ace here.
Interesting! They're in stock at these stores here. :hu

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
for deoderant i've been using aloe vera gel instead and it has been working out great. i used to spray some apple cider vinegar on my shirt pits to help out, but in the past few weeks i've stopped doing that and it is still working ok.

the funny thing is that i found out that commercial deoderants make my pits stink worse (aside from the issues i have from the smells or skin rashes).
I too was using aloe vera gel, but putting baking soda on top of that. Then I figured out that most of the time I don't need anything, so I've going without. In the summer when I really need the baking soda, I can't wear it because I break out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a bar of salt. Plain chunk of Himalayan salt. Wet and rub hands over it. Rub hands on pits.

I'm very sensitive to deodorants. Mom bought me my first alum stone back around 1986 after getting fed up with me having hives and blisters. Baking soda burns my skin on any part that isn't tough like hands or outer forearms.

The Lady Speed Stick in Baby Powder was the only commercial one I could use until around 2002 or so when they changed the formula.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good to get an update!

Fred Meyer, Winco, all the feed stores, and all the hardware stores have had lids and jars now. Not huge amounts on the lids, but I think that's more of people buying them. Walmart has had the least amount here.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a bar of salt. Plain chunk of Himalayan salt. Wet and rub hands over it. Rub hands on pits.

I'm very sensitive to deodorants. Mom bought me my first alum stone back around 1986 after getting fed up with me having hives and blisters. Baking soda burns my skin on any part that isn't tough like hands or outer forearms.

The Lady Speed Stick in Baby Powder was the only commercial one I could use until around 2002 or so when they changed the formula.

i tried an alum stick for a while but it ended up giving me a rash after a few months which is why i ended up trying aloe gel instead.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie thanks for an update. I don't like what happened but, appreciate knowing. The prices on lids, when found, are high!!!!! Like 4.99 a doz for what used to be half that.😡. It does make canning expensive! I'll use more qts to use less lids. I can always eat a couple meals with contents. I have a good supply of lids but, where's it going from here??

The companies they've bought out have a lot of food preservation input. Strange. May be time to rethink reusable rings?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as long as we have freezer space we can get by freezing so many things instead of formally canning them (and we don't have a pressure cooker so there's that too). the lids for those come off the canned tomato jars and can be re-used a lot of times. the half-gallon jars are nice but with the lids being so expensive they're pretty much on stand-by for emergencies (when we run out of everything else).