shortages

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
don't tolerate anything canned because of histamine.
? I'm at a loss on this. Enlighten me...🤔🤗.

As an aside, most of us, as you know....can as a way to preserve without freezer space and utility concerns. Nothing wrong with freezing all! I do find, over years, freezer burn is destructive. But good removal of air in packages is huge! Yep. Foodsaver units here. 😊. Meats are vac sealed!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
? I'm at a loss on this. Enlighten me...🤔🤗.
Food contains histamine. The longer the processing time or stoorage time, the more histamine the food contains.

Some people have a genetic mutation that makes them unable or less able to break down histamine in the GI tract because they dont have (or dont have enough of) an enzyme. Other histamine sensitive people have an allergenic immune system disorder.

People who are sensitive to histamine avoid high histamine foods, histamine-liberating foods, and must choose food carefully for its processing and storage. They typically cannot eat leftovers, fish, or meat.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food contains histamine. The longer the processing time or stoorage time, the more histamine the food contains.

Some people have a genetic mutation that makes them unable or less able to break down histamine in the GI tract because they dont have (or dont have enough of) an enzyme. Other histamine sensitive people have an allergenic immune system disorder.

People who are sensitive to histamine avoid high histamine foods, histamine-liberating foods, and must choose food carefully for its processing and storage. They typically cannot eat leftovers, fish, or meat.
Meat and fish can be eaten, but must be fresh. No shellfish, and no meat or fish sitting around unthawed, and no deli meats.

Also, although some foods are not high histamine, such as dairy, wheat products, and sugar, they raise histamine levels in the body. Preservatives are also an issue.

Many histamine sensitive individuals also have reactions to environmental factors, and can improve with eating a low histamine diet.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
picked up regular sized lids yesterday but no large mouth lids were in stock unless we wanted to buy rings and lids together. regular lid prices were about $3.30 per dozen which is quite a bit higher than before. i was happy to wait for things to go on sale but Mom said to get them anyways - so i did. there were shelves of canning jars available of several brands. prices were up on those too, but not too bad - once they get reused enough times they easily pay for themselves.

prices otherwise weren't great but in some items they were ok. it just depended upon what was more in-season than the rest.

the greatest price shock i had was seeing a can of condensed vegetable soup going for $1.70something, that's rediculous price for veggie soup, i wouldn't have paid it and made my own instead but Mom again was more insistent because she was getting it for my brother. she's a lot nicer than i am! haha! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I replenished my stock of cleaning and hygiene products yesterday. Laundry detergent prices jumped. (no surprise!) It was $12.96 in 9/2021. Now $14.47.

I noticed a lot more fragrance-free products than a year or two ago. Made me happy! I had been buying fragrance free body wash for DS15 online from a medical supplier for about $20. Now walmart has a fragrance-free body wash for $9 and it's a larger size container too. :) I found quite a few options for fragrance free sunscreen this year, when last year I could only get it in the baby section. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winco lid prices yesterday

20220504_181904.jpg
20220504_181849.jpg

Latest posts