shortages

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn’t expose myself to Covid for minimum wage either, I don’t fault people for not working.
We’ve had the same issue here with the dollar store, I’ve heard (I don’t shop there), closing for hours at a time due to lack of workers.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My new fences are interesting. Have been able to lay my hands on a slow but stead supply of plastic pallets. So my fence is 40 inches tall and 8 feet between post . I screw the pallets together with treated lumber at the joints.
Sorry I don't do pics.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

can you eat peanut butter? often that can be found in pretty natural forms. i don't mind the commercial version we normally buy. it's a pretty fat laden food, but also reasonably good nutrition too.

i forgot to add that one way i used to eat a lot of peanut butter was with carrots. then at least i knew i was getting some veggies too.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I shopped a big part of the day for fencing, I went everywhere. Rural King, Tractor Supply, numerous small farm stores. Finally at the last Rural King and almost 70 miles away from home at around 8:00 PM, I found the fence I wanted and they had exactly 6 rolls of 330' left, that's exactly what I needed. Chris who was the loader at the store was awesome. I said is this all the fencing you have he scratched his head and said we have a pallet in the warehouse that's been sitting the for several years, let me show you. Wouldn't you know it... that was exactly the fence I was looking for. I asked why isn't it outside with the rest of the fencing? He said I don't know, probably set aside for an employee or customer that never picked it up. It was tagged and priced at almost 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay. So I ended up with the fence I wanted, at almost half of what I expected to pay. If this isn't Mathew 7:7 in action, then I simply don't know what is.

When I went through the check out, I seen the manager and I said you're loader Chris is a good guy, very helpful and kind. She got on the radio and said "we just got a shout-out for Chris, by a pleased customer" Chris was all smiles when he was helping me load up the rolls. Come to find out he was being looked at for assistant manager and he said he was pretty sure he got it now. It's a position he really wanted.

The tags on my new fence say it was manufactured 6/24/2017 and the fence is dusty from being in the warehouse. But it comes with a 40 year warranty from the date of purchase from Bekaert.
Persistence, patience and my attitude most definitely made the diffence, I couldn't ask for any better. Besides someone named @baymule insisted this is the fence I needed ❤️

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I couldn't be more delighted with this. Our favorite at the local TSC is also named Chris. He just made assistant manager. I bought dog food a week ago, it was his day off, but he came to the store just to give me a hug. I got one of those survey things, gave the store great reviews and said that Chris came to the store on his day off just to give a hug because my husband had passed away. Within hours of sending back the survey, Chris sent me a text thanking me for the review.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You may want to study up on this before stocking up on soy based baby formula. I won't even buy soy based milk replacer for rejected baby lambs.

I think we could try this homemade recipe if things go wrong. Yeah
E7DC05C2-04E7-43BD-8020-237A78294438.png

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
can you eat peanut butter? often that can be found in pretty natural forms. i don't mind the commercial version we normally buy. it's a pretty fat laden food, but also reasonably good nutrition too.

i forgot to add that one way i used to eat a lot of peanut butter was with carrots. then at least i knew i was getting some veggies too.
I love peanut butter. Great idea! Probably will make some spicy peanut butter noodles later. As much as I hate supplements I do feel really good while I’m on them. I’m on top of the world right now. I could run a marathon!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Interesting. I always get suspicious of empty shelf pictures. They're usually misleading, such as empty coolers from a power outage and the food has warmed and cannot be sold - thats not a shortage, its a normal response to a power outage.

We know this time around that shortages are regional so its hard to get the big picture.

Data from late September that 16% of beverages, 14% of snack foods and 14% of frozen items were out of stock at the nation's grocery stores, according to Information Resources, Inc.
www.today.com/news/supply-shortages-holiday-shopping-4-steps-take-now-rcna2895

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just leaving wally world. Only item i couldn't get was a specific brand of decaf coffee, plenty of paper products. Even found Ball canning lids. No quarts, but plenty of pints and half pints. Other canning supplies stocked pretty well.

Plenty of 75 inch flat screen TV s. Lol

Latest posts