shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can't get Ball or Kerr brands in WI. I tried some "made in China" off brand lids and they all sealed. I have enough lids for the rest of this canning season, but I wanted to try the "made in China" lids to see if they were as bad a rumored. I have Tattlers too but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't tested them. I saw a home canner was using Tattler rings with re-used metal lids. That looks more appealing to me than plastic Tattler lids.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bought more coffee...couldn't help myself. 57% off! Packing change in reset, so new up and old discounted....the kind I use! 😁 got another 5 lbs....add to already stocked and I'm good until next Fall, easy. I have to stop this. 🤔🤪 not like I think things are gonna be that bad but, also have excess of a LOT of things. Nothing that will go bad, just way more than enough. Need to brake!

No shortages at this house.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bought more coffee...couldn't help myself. 57% off! Packing change in reset, so new up and old discounted....the kind I use! 😁 got another 5 lbs....add to already stocked and I'm good until next Fall, easy. I have to stop this. 🤔🤪 not like I think things are gonna be that bad but, also have excess of a LOT of things. Nothing that will go bad, just way more than enough. Need to brake!

No shortages at this house.
Yay! Way to go! Sounds like successful stocking. Everything you need and nothing that you don't.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't get Ball or Kerr brands in WI. I tried some "made in China" off brand lids and they all sealed. I have enough lids for the rest of this canning season, but I wanted to try the "made in China" lids to see if they were as bad a rumored.
I got some Pur brand (?) Wide mouth at Ace and some unlabeled "Ball" at the Amish store, not sure how they will work but going through 150-200 a yr I will at least try bc in our area of WI you cant find Kerr or Ball either

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we could try this homemade recipe if things go wrong. Yeah View attachment 16775

There is a reason for pasteurization. Too many city kids died from milk borne diseases before it.

Most people don't test their cows for brucellosis. You don't want a baby to get that which is usually spread from unpasteurized milk. Even if you just pasteurize it yourself before use. There's a bunch of other nasties as well.

It's a different story if you have your own cow, have made sure it's disease free, and use the milk daily. Even just the daily use of the fresh milk helps a ton because the bacteria haven't had time to multiply. Farmers didn't save the milk over days except for cheese and butter making. Usually it help grow out the pigs.

The raw milk farms here are required to test their herds. I see it in the stores occasionally. Usually it's goat milk, but I know of at least one cow dairy that's raw. Goat milk on it's own is pretty nutritous and more easily digestible. It's higher fat than most cow milk you find. They are also less likely to carry diseases than cows.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Umm we’re gonna need some cow pics🥰🤣 I love cows… but will likely never own any, for multiple reasons. So I will live vicariously through other people that have them 😂
Oh yes ma’am! First off Rina, second Daffy.
7A917FB4-180C-40AA-9236-333D3EF66CD7.jpeg8303F93F-7F72-4438-9D45-C35FCEC54983.jpeg
Dottie doesn’t like pictures, and she may be in the freezer next spring. She’s a bitch.
That’s a bit of a Rina baby picture but still cute! A2A2 Jersey cows.

Edit; Shhhhhh! I didn't ask DW for permission to post these, so keep it on the down-low... 😉

Edit #2- Dottie is my Profile picture! I just realized.

Last edited: