shortages

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For a while I was hungry but I couldn’t figure why because I had been eating from emergency food supplies or from the food lines set up at church. Then I saw a serving of green beans 🥰. I ate it and I felt like I was in Heaven. See we had been so busy just trying to clean up and make pathways following Ida that we weren’t even thinking about eating until we were starving. I haven’t been going to the store lately because I am trying to eat stuff from the lines because it’s not exactly what I am used to eating but....well it’s food 🤷‍♀️
When I last went to the grocery store I couldn’t believe the price of beef. I opted out. I was just shaking my head. DH asked me what was wrong. I told him we needed to find a cow and kill it.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome! I may start looking around for Ball wide mouth quart jars. I filled all of mine this year!
I looked at ours 2 weeks ago when doing the in-laws shopping and there was nothing. The only place I found wide mouth quart jars this season was Ace Hardware. Now they only have quarter pints Kerr brand and Pure brand regular mouth pints

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They even had tons of yellow mustard which folks on the local Facebook page claimed was out of stock for over 6 months. :)

hmm, well, ok... ;) i'm kinda cracking up about @baymules comment about BBQ sauce as you can get into the whole thing about red vs. yellow BBQ sauces... heehee... :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Area grocery store has whole frozen turkey (limit 2) at 33 cents per pound. Local butcher has boneless NY strip loins at $4.99 per pound, decent prices on ground beef, and local bacon on sale for 5.99 per pound (compare to chains at 8.99).

Need to reassess the freezer situation again.

Canned tomatoes (diced, puree, etc) that we use a lot of was BOGO. We now have 4 dozen cans.

I'll be honest, the wife and I have been discussing this a lot. I think we are about at our personal max for prep. She begs to differ. :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Great price for turkeys and steaks! Hope you were able to get your limit.
Haven't purchased anything yet. We are still discussing. ;)

She doesn't care for turkey dark meat, a whole bird is a bit of overkill for just us, imho. We still have roughly 2 loins worth in the freezer still.

I really don't think we need a third standalone freezer.

Might have freezer space if we would be able to get rid of the 3 gallon tub of ice cream with 3/4 of it left. (I don't eat it and it's been in there 8 months). It was a deal! Or something like that.

Boobalacka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes,
seems the shortages are coming again. now its sugar in my area. ive been kinda lax on preps lately so i went and got 40 lbs of sugars, 20 lbs of flour, and a bunch of other odds and ends for baking and started packing it up today. while i was at it i grabbed the 20 lb bag of rice from the deep freezer thats been there for who knows how many weeks and packed it up.

today i used mylar bags and mason jars with my vac sealer. the mylar works well on bags of flour. just drop the bag of flour in the mylar bag, throw in an oxy absorber, seal it up with the wifes flat iron and throw it in the deep freezer for a week. then its safe for the shelf.

the sugar went in jars. vac sealed is good enough in my book for white sugar.

i also vac sealed the rice in jars because it was still cold from the freezer and i didnt want any air im the container to make condesation to possibly spoil the food.

stuff is getting high dollar. a few vags of sugar, and a few other staples were over $50 at the dollar general

i have a feeling things are about to get ugly, but im at peace with it. not stressed at all.

seems the shortages are coming again. now its sugar in my area. ive been kinda lax on preps lately so i went and got 40 lbs of sugars, 20 lbs of flour, and a bunch of other odds and ends for baking and started packing it up today. while i was at it i grabbed the 20 lb bag of rice from the deep freezer thats been there for who knows how many weeks and packed it up.

today i used mylar bags and mason jars with my vac sealer. the mylar works well on bags of flour. just drop the bag of flour in the mylar bag, throw in an oxy absorber, seal it up with the wifes flat iron and throw it in the deep freezer for a week. then its safe for the shelf.

the sugar went in jars. vac sealed is good enough in my book for white sugar.

i also vac sealed the rice in jars because it was still cold from the freezer and i didnt want any air im the container to make condesation to possibly spoil the food.

stuff is getting high dollar. a few vags of sugar, and a few other staples were over $50 at the dollar general

i have a feeling things are about to get ugly, but im at peace with it. not stressed at all.
Yes, I too am prepared but at peace with it. There’s only so much a human can do with a world so hell bent on destruction! 😞

Latest posts