shortages

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are also non medication ways to euthanize. I can’t remember who it’s from now, but somebody put out a list of acceptable/humane methods of death that anyone in the veterinary industry (and I believe meat, but don’t quote me on that one) have to follow. For instance, last time I checked, it is considered inhumane to suffocate an animal or inject an air bubble into the veins. But, decapatation, bolt gun, and certain drugs are considered humane.
This is true. The guidelines on humane euthanasia are from the American Veterinary Medicine Association. They have been adopted by NIH Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare also. They are updated periodically. Notably, gunshot through the brain is a humane method of euthanasia that is often preferred for livestock since disposal of carcasses is a problem when euthanasia solution is used, and it's more accessible than a bolt gun.

Manual blunt force and electrocution with 120 or 220 current are also no-nos.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Owners should be present when their pets are euthanized. We weren’t present when our beloved Parker was euthanized, but he was already “out” for surgery. He had pancreatic cancer and it was all over his insides. There was no “make it better” he was going to die horribly. The vet called us and told us and we said to put him down. I always felt bad that I wasn’t there for him.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well as far as painless goes wouldn't carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide and a few others also work for that? also freezing to death while not pleasant at least it mostly puts the animal out and to sleep and then they don't wake up. so perhaps adapting some kind of cooler to chill down the blood rapidly and recirculate after knocking them out with NO or CO? i'm just kicking ideas around. personally like most people i think i'd be very happy to just die in my sleep no matter how it is done to put me asleep. also i think that freezing makes a lot of sense if you don't want to be embalmed and want a natural burial where you can be composted or put in a hole in the ground without all the BS that is going on.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When my Grandfather was a regular working police, one of the rotation jobs was for them to go to the pound and shoot the dogs in that were on the list to be put down. That was phased out in the 80s. Small country towns do what has to be done.

that would be hard to do. :(

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😂

Screenshot_20220527-205306~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts