shortages

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok dumb question why by distilled water when it's so easy to make your on .

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The water here is so mineral laden, that the vessel for boiling the water (lots of it needed) needs constant clean up. I dunno, Maybe there is an easier way

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well with my water the only issue is clay . Do not a hard clean up. With mineral rich water I don't no but maybe use something like the molded silicon loaf pans to hold the water . They flex and should make cleanup easy.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Test run of the powdered heavy cream almost complete. Definitely going to continue to use it.

Attachments

• 20220629_090338.jpg
    20220629_090338.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 61

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am waiting -- impatiently! - for a screw to be delivered for my cream separator. Then I'm going to see if dehydrator can make powder and test for taste. 🤔. Most years I can have fresh milk all year but, I don't LIKE to milk in Jan/Feb, so normally dry them off. 🤣. On flip of that, I don't use a lot of cream, unless it's to make ice cream or cheese. But, would be good to know I can do/ have in that form.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am waiting -- impatiently! - for a screw to be delivered for my cream separator. Then I'm going to see if dehydrator can make powder and test for taste.
That sounds like a great idea! Hope it works out well.

I tried canning milk in the past. Ugh...on taste. Luckily the pigs weren't as picky as me, lol!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our well water is extremely hard. We have an iron filter, but the water softener died, and we haven't replaced it yet. I buy filtered water from the store to use for canning purposes. It is reverse osmosis filtered and I get it for $0.39 per gallon. It is also convenient to have 4 gallons of water ready to pour into the pot at any time. I also use this for the tea pot, watering house plants and making beverages (Kool-Aid for the hubby). It was really nice to have the water on the shelf when we lost power for 3+ days.

I use distilled water in my iron, steam map, and Cpap machine. I will not use distilled water for food prep unless it is called for in the recipe. Partly because it is more expensive and partly because it tastes like crap.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
tried canning milk in the past. Ugh...on taste.
Same here! Tried several ways. All sealed, etc, just not drinkable taste. I just freeze some, in case. Usually have a couple cans of evaporated and PKG of shelf life milk type in cabinets.

Powdered cream is just a try it thing. Again, in case. It's here, no buying spend if it's doable. I sure have cream. Only do one or two trays to test.

Neither of us need either because we both have a doe most of the year for fresh. 😁. But ya know how these ideas come to us and we FEEL LIKE we oughta be doing it???? No, some things we don't need to do or grow or have. :lol: :old it's like saving colostrum -- what if? Just a few cups will do.

I have a tiller but can sure hoe if no gas available! My way to think.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree! Canning milk was an experiment. I only tried it once, lol. But, animals didn't object to the taste so it wasn't a complete failure. If I still had a bunch of pigs I might continue to do it.

I hope your cream experiment works. I recently purchased some powdered cream. It's a whole lot better than nothing - but I still like mine fresh!

Latest posts