SIMPLE White Sandwich Bread

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Oh, I forgot! I learned that I get a lot better texture if I knead for just a few minutes, cover and let it rest for 20 minutes, then knead again for 8 minutes.
Something about letting the gluten relax (etc etc, can't remember now). It was also suggested to not add the salt until the last kneading (again, I can't remember why, something to do with the gluten again), but for some reason that bugged me. It was just weird kneading salt into the dough. I have to admit, that was the best bread I had ever made.

But tons of kneading!
I've never heard of kneeding salt into the dough. Usually stuff is kneeded in if it will interfere with the little gluten molecules from hooking themselves end-to-end.

Some salt is needed as soon as the dough is wet. I understand that there's something about needing counter-ions to help the gluten chains slip past one another. Turns out that there are these other gluten-related molecules that are important for relaxation. But the amount of salt needed to achieve this is pretty small; most of the salt put into bread is for taste.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What do you mean by base? Would you add something else to it?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I made your bread again MTN and it was so SUCESSFULL! I didnt use the self rising. However I put a little more yeast and knead it much longer. It rose like you wouldnt believe and it was so good!!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
What do you mean by base? Would you add something else to it?
Sometimes I will add whole garlic cloves in with the last mix to have "garlic bread." Other times I will throw in some cinnamon and raisins! Good good stuff! :D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Here is my favorite bread machine recipe! :D

2 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 tspn yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tspn salt
1 1/8 cup water (or 1 cup + 2 Tbsp)

I mix it in the bread machine and then toss it in a pan let it rise and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

It's REALLY good!! I sometimes add things to it. Like, one time I put in whole garlic cloves at the final mix... sometimes raisins and cinnamon... It's a good base, and it's good by itself as well!
THANK YOU!!! My husband likes the white cheap soft stuff that I just know is probably chemicals and sawdust from the store. He has resisted all of my attempts at getting him to eat my bread. I'd given up for a couple of years as I wasn't eating bread myself. We 'accidentally' ran out this weekend and he was dying for a tomato sandwich so I whipped this up in the bread machine. He loved it and that's all there is to say about that!!!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Miss The North - thank you so much for your recipe. I made that bread for the second time today. The first time I made it, we still had some store bought bread. We could barely finish it once we had this bread. Today, I accidently baked it a little too long and it is still great sandwich bread! Thanks!

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Miss The North - thank you so much for your recipe. I made that bread for the second time today. The first time I made it, we still had some store bought bread. We could barely finish it once we had this bread. Today, I accidently baked it a little too long and it is still great sandwich bread! Thanks!
X2!! I made this for the first time yesterday & we love it!!

This is definitely a keeper! Finally, no more store-bought bread.

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been craving the whole grain bread I used to get in Australia from the local bakery. Every "whole grain" bread I try over here has the grains (rolled grains) all over the crust and the bread itself is just a brown bread, whereas the Aussie bread had the grains mixed throughout the dough so that, when you toasted it the grains were all toasty as well (YUM) and the bread was a basic white loaf.
Is this hard to do? does it make the bread heavy or something? And what grains would you use to make like a muti grain bread? (and where do you buy them?)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have done these and delish and simple
french bread

Preparation Time: about 25 minutes
Cooking Time: about 25 minutes
Resting Time: about 4 hours, 30 minutes

Ingredients for French bread baguette recipes:

4 cups Flour
1 tbsp. Dry Active Yeast
1-2 tsp. Salt
2 cups Warm Water
Oil for bowl

How to make it:

1. In a bowl, mix together the flour and the salt.
2. In another bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and half of the flour/salt mixture. Using your hands, mix until it forms a dough. Then, cover with a dish cloth and let sit at room temperature for 3 hours. It should triple in size.
3. Gently incorporate the rest of the flour/salt, using your hands.
4. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. It should be supple and elastic when you stop kneading.
5. Lightly oil a bowl. Place dough in bowl. Cover with a dish towel. Let sit for 1 hour. It should double in size.
6. Preheat oven to 450F. Knead again. Then cut dough into 3 parts and form each part into a long baguette. Place on a baking sheet. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
7. Place a bowl of water in the oven. Bake baguettes for about 25 minutes (maybe less). Remove the bowl of water after 15 minutes of baking.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Barred - the duck egg is what made it rise so nicely! French pastry chefs use duck eggs for this reason. ;)