Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, seedy hay makes great pasture! I used to put the hay out in areas I wanted to reseed. Horses ate, seeds dropped to ground, courser stems as leftovers mulched it. I always tell people, only buy what you want to grow! :D Have bought some "mature cut", just because of the seed! Cost less than bags of seed. A bale, left out in the rain, will sprout for the chickens to eat in winter. Under cover, throw a little water on it..just a little. The decomposing hay give enough heat to sprout for a good part of the cold season.:old

You lucked out with that much --and FREE!! :celebrate

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't even get spoiled hay w/o paying a premium for it. But, first hay cutting was delayed here due to copious rain, so it is very weedy. We have some new ground that needs to be seeded over, so... I think some weedy first cut is a definite plan. Hopefully, hubby and I can work up the energy to finish prepping those areas and get them hay seeded/mulched this month.

@Beekissed What is your opinion of Ladino clover? How tall does it grow?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't even get spoiled hay w/o paying a premium for it. But, first hay cutting was delayed here due to copious rain, so it is very weedy. We have some new ground that needs to be seeded over, so... I think some weedy first cut is a definite plan. Hopefully, hubby and I can work up the energy to finish prepping those areas and get them hay seeded/mulched this month.

@Beekissed What is your opinion of Ladino clover? How tall does it grow?

Depends on your soil and weather conditions, I would say, but around here it can get anywhere from 6 in. to over a foot high. Some places it sprouted in my garden, more fertile and soft soil, it was over 2 ft high.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, seedy hay makes great pasture! I used to put the hay out in areas I wanted to reseed. Horses ate, seeds dropped to ground, courser stems as leftovers mulched it. I always tell people, only buy what you want to grow! :D Have bought some "mature cut", just because of the seed! Cost less than bags of seed. A bale, left out in the rain, will sprout for the chickens to eat in winter. Under cover, throw a little water on it..just a little. The decomposing hay give enough heat to sprout for a good part of the cold season.:old

You lucked out with that much --and FREE!! :celebrate

That's an excellent idea, Bay! I'll keep that one in mind the next time I want to provide greens in the coop for the winter. I have a clear winter tarp I use, so it would even get sun. I've put hay bales in the coop before, just for bird life and different levels of their being, but never wet it down before to make it sprout.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The sheep are sampling their sea kelp meal and salt and also sampled the sulfur block a good bit today. Could be they are low in minerals after their bout with founder and the resulting diarrhea. They've both lost a little conditioning over that little incident, but are eating well and will regain it soon enough.

Found out Rose loves peanut butter flavored dog biscuits, but Shine does not. It was a good way to test how wide my stanchions are in relation to their heads and necks...and now I know I need to widen them and revamp them to allow for much more initial head space when they are sticking their necks through there, but I have the width about right when the stanchions are closed.

Poops are getting back to a more healthy form, though still more clumping than I like to see. The graze isn't THAT rich at this time of year. I was surprised to see them grazing on that weed that seems to be taking over our land...seems to be a type of smart weed and I'm relieved to find out that ducks, deer, and other wildlife like it, so I'm glad the sheep may benefit from it as well. They'll have a plenty of it, that's for sure. It's taking over the meadow, especially where I have planted clover.

Turns out that weed has some good properties that may even benefit the livestock here...

https://ayushology.com/health-benefits-of-herbs/health-benefits-of-smart-weed/

http://www.eattheweeds.com/smartweed-natures-pepper-and-pharmacy/

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/benefits-of-smartweed-polygonum-hydropiperoides/

Learn something new every day, huh? I just figured it was a weed and an invasive one, at that. And it has been here, but if they can get some nutritive value from it, then that's not so bad.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, we have that stuff growing all over the place here, though I find it to be easy to control compared to the more woody weeds. It is a wonderful trap crop for Japanese beetles. Almost as good as primrose. I've not noted my chickens to be overly fond of it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, we have that stuff growing all over the place here, though I find it to be easy to control compared to the more woody weeds. It is a wonderful trap crop for Japanese beetles. Almost as good as primrose. I've not noted my chickens to be overly fond of it.
I haven't seen any JBs on it and I haven't noticed much if the chickens or the ducks are consuming it, but did notice the sheep grazing it today, which is GOOD. We have too much of it taking over, so if they can get some nutrition out of it, I'm okay with it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The sheep are sampling their sea kelp meal and salt and also sampled the sulfur block a good bit today. Could be they are low in minerals after their bout with founder and the resulting diarrhea. They've both lost a little conditioning over that little incident, but are eating well and will regain it soon enough.

Found out Rose loves peanut butter flavored dog biscuits, but Shine does not. It was a good way to test how wide my stanchions are in relation to their heads and necks...and now I know I need to widen them and revamp them to allow for much more initial head space when they are sticking their necks through there, but I have the width about right when the stanchions are closed.

Poops are getting back to a more healthy form, though still more clumping than I like to see. The graze isn't THAT rich at this time of year. I was surprised to see them grazing on that weed that seems to be taking over our land...seems to be a type of smart weed and I'm relieved to find out that ducks, deer, and other wildlife like it, so I'm glad the sheep may benefit from it as well. They'll have a plenty of it, that's for sure. It's taking over the meadow, especially where I have planted clover.

Turns out that weed has some good properties that may even benefit the livestock here...

https://ayushology.com/health-benefits-of-herbs/health-benefits-of-smart-weed/

http://www.eattheweeds.com/smartweed-natures-pepper-and-pharmacy/

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/benefits-of-smartweed-polygonum-hydropiperoides/

Learn something new every day, huh? I just figured it was a weed and an invasive one, at that. And it has been here, but if they can get some nutritive value from it, then that's not so bad.

Rose Shine hu

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
is a wonderful trap crop for Japanese beetles. Almost as good as primrose

I have the stuff here & there all over the farm. Goats eat it some but, the chickens love the beetles :D In fact, there have been VERY few JBs here this year. Guess someone is doing their job because we know the JBs don't just stop making more JBs.

Interesting about the leaves & fish...one site says Beautyberry leaves can do this, also. So both are excellent bug repellants.

Been reading & u-tubing for extracting essential oils from plants, condensation method. Basically, for use in salves. Infused oils work...have all I need to do that and a suggestion I had never given thought to, if trying to speed the heat process vice just solar, use a yogurt machine. That's a little system that you can plug in, heat controlled, cover & just remember to shut down a few days later.

They are $40-60 but, I bought a never used one at Habitat for $10. Also got a 4 tray Nesco dehydrator for $8, also never or rarely used. (both a couple yrs ago) I love to shop these stores. Last night I loaded all 4 trays for the fourth time in past two weeks with FIGS!!:drool