Site's ready for visitors :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh noooooooooo- I made a huge mistake! I gave DH the web address...argh. Gotta go take his credit card away or he'll be booking flights in snout 20 minutes!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Mini Horses the man that lives in the adjacent cottage told me I can go in at my own risk and it was interesting to say the least… Lots of rubble, trees and bushes, pieces of timber. It was more a climb around than a walk around in there! lol

Many of the castles we did get into had stone floors above the entrance floors and then not much of a roof above that, but there was some kind of roof over the top, sadly all gone now in most cases. They are fascinating structures to explore for sure! I love seeing the old fireplaces, alcoves and nooks and crannies and the stairs! Those narrow, twisty stone steps make me so nervous, I'm known to navigate them like a spider, expect much slower!

IMG_1475.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi come to the United States and we'll hike the Appalachian Trail together. Or I can take you to the Mark Twain national Forest and hike the Ozark trail some... It's the only trail I know where perodicly when you cross certain sections machanical mortars are blown off to run the bears off so they don't eat you - it's a great time!

My son and I hiked the Ozark trail in the Mark Twain national Forest 3 years ago. 10 miles of hiking, I found one peice of trash... A plastic sandwich bag that I picked up and put in my pack and threw away. We packed in no water, there are numerous springs to drink from. The section we hiked also has a waterfall where we stripped down and took a refreshing shower of pure mountain spring water - nothing quite like it really. We pitched a tent along the trail which is a no no but we had no other chose because it was getting dark. We awoke to a mountain lion circling our tent, which we frightening off with a few gun shots. It's a great time, that you will never forget. When I find them I'll post some pics here to lure you in.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter that sounds wonderful! I love hiking and I read about the Appalachian trial, it sounds lovely. Those bears are scary though :hide

@baymule thanks! :) It's a work in progress still. I add new posts as and when I get time to go visit places and write about them. It's fun!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even the roofs are stone? I'll bet their fire insurance was super cheap! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someday... When I have older children and fewer goats. Oh I'll never have fewer goats. But someday I'll have enough money to pay a goat sitter! My FIL went there once and said it was gorgeous but people weren't overly friendly. Must be the area he was in, because that's not the experience you've had right? He felt like everyone was like yeah... Give me your money and scram. Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The people here in general are very friendly. I met some that were a bit :\, but you'll get them everywhere I guess. The majority are lovely though.