SKR8PN.... two small butts........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
abifae said:
LOL. You need to put down a space blanket first, silly.

THEN the blanket that absorbs water.
There wasn't enough time for all that. :gig

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
OK.....back to the greenhouse!!
This thing never ceases to amaze me.
This morning on my way over to plow the neighbors drive, I noticed the glass in front was covered with snow from last night. Made a mental note to stop on the way back home to clean it off. I forgot all about it until I was back in the house and had my shoes off. I peaked out the window at it, and the snow was almost all gone! A quick check of the remote thermometers showed the temp coming up quickly inside the greenhouse! As I set here now, it is 15.6 degrees OUTSIDE and the greenhouse temp is at 73.5 and still climbing with intermittent cloud cover!! The soil temp is up to 50 degrees already!!!

:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN,..LOVE :love your greenhouse and YES,..I have greenhouse envy! I really want to have fresh tomatoes and lettuce in January,..hopefully by next year :fl . Question though,...the jugs you used on the wall,...5 gallon jugs??? Where did you aquire some many??? Are they cooking oil jugs from restraunts or water jugs???,...they are painted black right?? It is a great idea how you done all of it. :thumbsup

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Here's the pictures! There is a story on the jugs. A gentleman had them listed them on Craigslist. He works at a fertilizer factory and these were purchased for a special project for one of their customers. After they got the jugs and started filling the order, the customer canceled. They were stuck with 6 or 7 pallets of these brand new, stackable, food grade, UV resistant jugs. The company told him to scrap them! But he talked them into selling them instead of PAYING to get rid of them. He was asking 3 dollars a jug, unless you wanted a full pallet(65 jugs) then the price dropped to 2 dollars per jug. I bought 2 pallets, but still hadn't finalized my plans for the greenhouse. After I got the final size figured out, I realized I needed about 15 more more jugs! Thank goodness he still had one whole pallet left, so I bought it! The best part? He delivered ALL the jugs for free!!!
I still have about 20 jugs for spares, just in case. :D

393655101.jpg

393655108.jpg

393655106.jpg

393655105.jpg

392891294.jpg

393190216.jpg

If anyone has ANY questions about how I built this, please feel free to ask!! I am no expert, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn about 10 years ago! :lol:

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:gig

What time will you be here tomorrow?

Might wanna post the building material list tonight, and I will have the deliver the goods tomorrow...

On a seros note explain to us how the floor works? I am guessing the soil doesn't get cold? Why or why not?

I had a indoor mator plant it died last year, do you use a small brush and electric tooth brush to make fruit? Can you tell what I did?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
:gig

What time will you be here tomorrow?

Might wanna post the building material list tonight, and I will have the deliver the goods tomorrow...

On a seros note explain to us how the floor works? I am guessing the soil doesn't get cold? Why or why not?

I had a indoor mator plant it died last year, do you use a small brush and electric tooth brush to make fruit? Can you tell what I did?
The soil stays warm because I dug a trench,18 inches deep and about 4 inches wide, INSIDE of those 6x6's that I used for my base, and put 1 inch thick foil backed insulation board vertically, to act as a frost break. Then I used the same foil backed board under the walkway to make the floor work as a part of the thermal mass. Actually, everything but the glass is a part of the thermal mass. As I set here typing this, the outside temp is -6 below and it has still 38 degrees soil temp. This may be the day I need to turn on the itty-bitty quartz heater to protect the jugs. At this point, since it is the first year for this experiment, I will sacrifice any plants just to see how warm it will stay. We shall see.

As far as the tomato plants, they were both left overs from the local greenhouse last summer. Ugly, gangly no name things that were dug out of the dumpster. In other words, PERFECT for my greenhouse experiment!! One of them is a cherry tomato and I have no clue what the other one is, but it has born about a 1/2 dozen fruits that are only about 2-3 inches in diameter. If I didn't know better, I would say it is a volunteer from a hybrid plant, but the fruit was still tasty!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This is sweet!!!! How is the temp holding up with today's weather?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
This is sweet!!!! How is the temp holding up with today's weather?
As I set here typing this, the outside temp is -6 below and it has still 38 degrees soil temp.
Actually, now that the sun has started to come up, the outside temp has dropped to -7.1 below but the soil temp inside is still 38 degrees.