SKR8PN.... two small butts........

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
He's heating with solar (sunlight through the windows) and thermal mass.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
That is pretty close to what ours stays at. It has not gotten below freezing yet and our lowest temp so far has been about 6 degrees outside and 35 inside. What are you heating with? We started with propane then went to wood. The wood does just as good and is a LOT cheaper. Unfortunately instead of lettuce and tomatoes, we have a momma goat in it who just can't handle the cold. :/
My greenhouse is TOTALLY SOLAR! NO auxiliary heat at all!! It is all in the design, the amount of thermal mass and how I insulated it.

393190216.jpg

Edit to say 'Zilla beat me to it!! :lol:

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to convince dh to try thermal mass! I had a few ideas to do it, but he had no interest in that at all. I don't think he thought it would work. On the good side though, we are only having to heat at night from just after sundown to sunup. It easily reaches 60 or more in there during the day. You probably already posted this, but I haven't had time to catch up on all the stuff I missed while I was gone, but what are you using for thermal mass?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I tried to convince dh to try thermal mass! I had a few ideas to do it, but he had no interest in that at all. I don't think he thought it would work. On the good side though, we are only having to heat at night from just after sundown to sunup. It easily reaches 60 or more in there during the day. You probably already posted this, but I haven't had time to catch up on all the stuff I missed while I was gone, but what are you using for thermal mass?
Stack-able water jugs..........150 of them... filled with a brine solution. The center walkway is also insulated underneath and is a part of the mass as well.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I figured it was a while back since there weren't lettuces and maters to pick :D

*pictures enclosing her porch at her apartment*

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:clap

Whoo, that's a nice greenhouse! Could you please explain thermal mass to me?