SKR8PN.... two small butts........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Dooley said:
:clap

Whoo, that's a nice greenhouse! Could you please explain thermal mass to me?
I am not a scientist, but I'll give it a go.......

Thermal mass works similar to a flywheel or a battery, in that it stores energy. It gathers an abundance of heat during the day and slowly releases it during the cool of the evening, when there is no sun to provide warmth. That maintains the inside air temperature, and growing right in the ground also eliminates any temperature swings for the plants root system.

I just took a S.W.A.G when I sized my greenhouse and the thermal mass inside. I stacked as many of the 5 gallon jugs as I could along the back wall(150 of them in all) and insulated under the walkway which is also a part of the thermal mass. I then dug down about 16 inches, on the inside of the front and side walls, and used more insulation as a "frost break" or a way to stop the frozen ground outside, from penetrating to the inside of the growing beds. The shed that the greenhouse is attached to, has 6 inches of insulation in the walls, and an additional 1 inch added to the outside of the vinyl siding, behind the water jugs. All of the glass is thermo-pane with NO low E added.
The greenhouse is 24ft long and 8 ft wide( 192 sq ft) and I have a total of 750 gallons of water in the jugs, which breaks down to 3.90 gallons of water (thermal mass) per sq ft. The roof also has 6 inches of fiberglass insulation as well as a 1 in thick foam insulation that is foil coated for reflective purposes.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow I love that! Ours is totally different. It is a hoop house covered in poly. My idea was black barrels through the center and of course our black 250 gal. catfish tank would/does help. But the circulating water releases the heat much faster than still water does. Also about covering the beds in black mulch to help hold the heat near the plants themselves. Old holey trampoline tarps are what I have for that. They are dark and allow the heat to build up in the soil while still allowing air/moisture to move freely. Also large trampoline frames make good trellises and small hoophouses.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
So far, your ALL correct! With the fresh powder we have been skiing every chance we get. The diet and the workouts are coming along great. So far I have dropped around 8 lbs, depending on which scale I am on. :D
I have a minimum of 12lbs more to lose. That is my first goal.

This morning I did a 50 minute cardio workout, then hit the weight machines and the floor mat for some core work.

The one BIG change we made was staying OUT of the bar in the Ski Lodge, and NOT eating our evening meal there once or twice a week. Even though we would split a sandwich, the sodium was killing us, not to mention the fact that it is impossible to eat in a bar without having a drink. We just bypass it completely now and it is working!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Picnics on the snow are fun ;)

Pack a lunch and toss a blanket on a snow bank and enjoy!!

:D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
abifae said:
Picnics on the snow are fun ;)

Pack a lunch and toss a blanket on a snow bank and enjoy!!

:D
We tried that once.........the snow melted from all the friction.
Water picnics are NO fun in the winter. :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
LOL. You need to put down a space blanket first, silly.

THEN the blanket that absorbs water.