Smoothies

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I make smoothies often, and just put in whatever I have. Mine tend to be more like @Britesea 's. Sometimes I will add one or two beets. It's fabulous for nutrition and color and mixed in with juice and yogurt, you don't get the flavor (if you're not a great fan). I do try to put spinach in often for the vitamins and iron. Any fruit works. I often throw in flax or chia seeds and sliced roasted almonds. Sometimes I use juice, sometimes coconut milk, most often yogurt or kefir. I picked up a container of powdered peanut butter at Costco, and sometimes I'll add a spoonful of that and a spoonful of cocoa with vanilla yogurt. (A little bit of cherry juice is reeeeally good with the cocoa.)
The thing is with smoothies is you can be super flexible. Put stuff in. If it's too tart, add some juice or yogurt. Too thick? Add a liquid. Too runny? Add pb, banana, cottage cheese, spinach, fruit... and if you want the vitamins but don't like spinach, beets, tea, (or whatever), add a little and cover up the taste with something like cherry or pineapple juice, or flavored yogurt or fresh fruit. They are fast and easy and great for drinking your breakfast on the way to work.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No recipe just use what I have on hand usually frozen fruit berries/strawberries, pumpkin seeds, nuts ,whey protein powder, Nutritional yeast. I use almond or coconut milk for the base.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't like fresh beets anyway lol. I only like them pickled! And they're such a pain to grow I don't bother with them!

I want to grow a bunch of stuff to freeze for smoothies this year. Just not beets lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just toss in yogurt, fresh or frozen berries, and banana, either fresh or frozen. Wanna kick it up with sweet? add some grape or apple juice. Have not tried greens or veggies in a smoothie. Need to get more experimental.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've only been using the milk lately because I don't have any Almond Milk on hand.
I'm not positive on what other can be used for a base though. I know I won't be trying Cashew Almond Milk or Coconut Almond Milk in my smoothies seeing how I tried both and don't care foe them so I'll just stick with the Almond Milk. I also won't be using beets :sick in my smoothies.
Lately I've been adding a tsp raw honey in them and they taste excellent.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Virgin Pina Colada- 1 can of crushed pineapples ( or the equivalent of chopped fresh), 1 can of coconut milk or water, a handful of ice cubes.....

Pineapple smoothie- frozen pineapples, orange juice, and ice cubes

Peach smoothie- same as pineapple

I always throw a handful of kale in as well.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
From all the articles I've read online about Kale, I'm not supposed to consume it because of having thyroid issues.
I wish I could eat it seeing how I've heard it is full of nutrients that help a body.
Kale should be okay if you are consuming adequate iodine. Kale contains a compound that inhibits absorption of iodine. If you didn't get enough iodine, or consumed huge amounts of kale, that could affect thyroid function. Kale doesn't deserve its reputation - soy, cassava, and brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower) have the same effect. Some people started consuming kale in excess during the superfood smoothie craze without realizing what they were doing to themselves.

If you limit sodium intake, you might not get enough iodine to consume kale regularly. Iodized salt (in the USA) contains 45 mg iodine per gram of salt. If you consume 3/4 teaspoon of iodized salt per day you should be fine. You can get iodine/iodide in seaweed, milk and yogurt, and smaller amounts in other foods.