Smoothies

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid dairy as it doesn't sit well with me anymore . DD1 likes yogurt smoothies and I've been sneaking in spinach when I can. I'm going to try with a different base for me, but so far what I've tried has been gross lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid dairy as it doesn't sit well with me anymore . DD1 likes yogurt smoothies and I've been sneaking in spinach when I can. I'm going to try with a different base for me, but so far what I've tried has been gross lol

Try soy or almond milk, I use silky tofu sometimes and it's delectable.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do soy, but I've been using cashew milk for oatmeal and things. I tried coconut milk yogurt and it was gross.

My husband is allergic to almonds so I have to make separate everything these days. Cashew milk has almonds in it... don't know how that's helpful! Lol

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only non-dairy base that I liked besides the orange juice - was frozen bananas. Made the smoothie nice and thick - but recently bananas have been giving me the belches, so no more nana's for me.

@sumi That is a huge strawberry! Did it taste as good as it looks?
one of hte seed catalogs I get has strawberry plants for sale that are supposed to grow those huge strawberries, but I am worried about the flavor. If I am going to grow it, it needs to taste good!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi That is a huge strawberry! Did it taste as good as it looks?
one of hte seed catalogs I get has strawberry plants for sale that are supposed to grow those huge strawberries, but I am worried about the flavor. If I am going to grow it, it needs to taste good!
It was delicious!

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't the best smoothies start with ice cream and end with Kahlua? :lol: Sorry - couldn't help myself!

Just don't use really, really (like fresh outta the ground beets). They'll try to kill you....BTDH :(
Oh my gosh ice cream is an awesome base for a smoothie. of course only once in a while ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I just made a smoothie using just 6oz Orange Juice, 1 Naval Orange, 1 Pink Cara Cara Orange, 1 Granny Smith Apple, 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp 100% Pure Raw Honey, and 8-10 ice cubes. It's very delicious and not too thick but thick enough.
I've been considering adding apples to mine... I should give this a try.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From all the articles I've read online about Kale, I'm not supposed to consume it because of having thyroid issues.
I wish I could eat it seeing how I've heard it is full of nutrients that help a body.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I understand, cooked kale is not as hard on thyroid as raw kale. Has your doctor said NO kale at all, or would moderate amounts be ok?