Snapshot--Moving on (A couple of photos added)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Today is bacon day! I'm making a BBQ chicken pizza for dinner which requires a little bacon and with the rest I am making Bacon Brittle!!! Hold the peanuts!!!! Will add photos later!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
gotta chuckle-- I remember several years ago when everyone was so scared of bacon because of the nitrates....

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Here is a photo of bacon brittle! It's good but I should have used peanuts too!

3685_img_6763.jpg

I think it came from Tastykitchen.com

Today was dill pickle day.

3685_img_6759.jpg

3685_img_6761.jpg

Going to the doc tomorrow to see if she can give me something to crush kidney stones, probably oxalate per my history.

Then taking it easy.

The bbq chix pizza was great!!! My boss gave me half a watermelon yesterday. Mmmm Love this job!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That bacon brittle looks yummy!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Good morning! Sunday was tomato day! Did 19 pints of stewed tomatoes with jalapenos and 8 quarts and a pint of plain tomatoes. It wasn't even messy since I had been scalding, quartering, peeling and bagging them in gallon bags as I went. Had 35 pounds of tomatoes which would only have made 7 quarts of sauce. Guess I'll buy sauce. DH loves the spicy stewed tomatoes! I was nervous about using the pressure canner since I haven't had anything to pressure can in 2 years but it went well. Did 2 batches in pressure canner and had the water bath going for the plain tomatoes too.

We now have wild blue/ Exede satellite internet and it works great here! It's been such a fight with the mi-fi and broadband card for the past year. I've hated even getting on the computer til now. I know that like the tv, it can go down in bad weather but the mifi didn't work at all half the time in good weather.

The garden is about played out now. This weekend I will pick some green tomatoes for mincemeat and maybe marmalade. Still a few watermelons and getting a few cucumbers still. We are supposed to be getting a gas grill soon (finally). I am looking forward to that as we haven't had a grill since we sold the house in FL over 10 years ago. I finally bought a new and large cast iron skillet. I have plans to get a griddle next and then a dutch oven. I missed the cast iron and now have the room for it.

Got a new little girl from rescue! Her name is Peanut Butter! Pea for short. Don't know what she is except small, maybe 2 pounds. She is a little darling! Certainly does not replace Buddy but she love to be held and entertains the other two! She is not atraid of either of them! Will post a photo when I take some.

Better get ready for work which is still a hoot! I love it!!! I work 3 days this week. So that's all from the small farm today!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Firstly, the promised photo of Peanut Butter "Boss of Applesauce"!

3685_img_6767.jpg

Today was fairly busy. Washed 3 dogs and all sheets and blankets, made a coffee ice cream dessert and a green tomato pie.

3685_img_6765.jpg

Also swept house and spent time on computer since it works!

I have plans to can tomato butter and make tomato lemon marmalade--some time in the future.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The green tomato pie tastes great! As does the coffee ice cream! I do have a problem though. The crust on the tomato pie is cemented to the bottom of the skillet. Seems like I have read about using baking soda and maybe to soak with a dryer sheet. (I'll have to buy them) Anyway, any input wil be appreciated!!! Pie is almost gone.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
All I did was soak the skillet in real hot water and all the burned stuff just fell off.

Picked another 5 gallon bucket of cukes, tomatoes, snap beans and jalapenos (combined) from the garden. There were lots more snap beans than I thought there would be. Still have watermelons in there and a few more tomatoes maybe and cukes. Any one have ideas for cucumbers? I have made enough relish, dills and b&bs to last a year or 2. No room for freezer pickles. We are eating them but there are just too many!

Latest posts