So are you saving.....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeh. I'm saving up for lasik eye surgery.

:D

If they can only get me down to 20/40 it would be worth it because I could afford CHEAP glasses.

I'm also saving up for classes on pattern making (sewing) and tailoring.

I pay cash only. Never had a credit card. Don't plan to.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have had credit cards in the past but they can bite you on the butt, so I no longer use them. I don't even have an emergency card- that is what savings are for. I put more in savings than I would like sometimes, considering that I do like to shop; but it's important. It's there when I need it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Well, I've been out of work most of my life. I don't want anything still asking me to pay up during my unemployed times.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
I have had credit cards in the past but they can bite you on the butt, so I no longer use them. I don't even have an emergency card- that is what savings are for. I put more in savings than I would like sometimes, considering that I do like to shop; but it's important. It's there when I need it.
I agree to a point, but personally I'd rather put 5 or $10k to use now, before it's buying power is reduced, and have the credit card (the credit company's money) for a back up. No money sitting around to be stolen, lost, or just losing its' buying power to inflation. Inflation is going to be quite an issue soon, I believe. Of course, in an emergency I could just cash out that amount in metals, but I'd rather not have to do that unless absolutely needed. Of course if they do cancel the card due to lack of use, I'll have to start keeping emergency cash again.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am perpetually saving to pay this house off early. THEN I can save for all the other things. Yeah, life happens sometimes and sets me back, but I never take my eyes off my goal. The HOUSE is the number one goal and it's a BIG one...well not too big, we are whittling it down :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Saving for a new (used) truck for my husband. And glasses for me. Well, not really saving for glasses, just haven't bit the bullet and spent the money for new ones yet. Eye strain headaches are getting more frequent so I guess it's time. Wish I could wear the cheap reading glasses, but that's not an option when both eyes are at different levels of almost blind. :D

We don't use credit cards either. We do have one, but it's strictly emergency use only and for online purchases that can be paid off immediately.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and I are retired, and our only consistent income is a quarterly interest payment on some investments. So, no we aren't saving for anything in particular per se, we are just aware of what we have, and when we will be getting more, and spend (or not) accordingly. We do have savings accounts that we add to when we have extra, or draw from if we need to, but our main saving strategy is just to try to remain reasonably frugal. Our big *save for something special* was a decade or 2 ago, for our retirement so that we could live as we are now doing.
And we do use CC for almost everything, but pay them off every month ... the CC company makes NO money off us at all :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
New used car. My '94 Volvo is holding its own but I'd like to be ready when it does die.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are fortunate in that we just finished a major goal last week. Yesterday, we reached another big goal for us. Next for us is saving up for a system allowing us to be LESS dependent on electricity. We are worried we won't be able to afford a system big enough to be totally off grid, but would like to have a combination of systems in place for the frequent power outages we experience in the area we're moving to.

We have weaned ourselves off credit cards. Still have one for emergencies, but really prefer to pay cash from savings.

Also must be a common problem, because I'm also setting aside money for new glasses! Sounds like I'll be getting an exam and then hitting the internet for the glasses themselves!

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just trying to save for rainy day needs, pretty much have the stuff i need for everyday life.After bills, can save some money.I use one credit card that give you money back for using it, Dis_over card, never carry a balance, use it just at the gas pump.It's tough making a buck around here, as i'm sure it is every where these days, so i save what i can for rainy day emergenies and the dreaded annual property taxes..!

Latest posts