So I was already paranoid...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, our entire medical system DOES appear to be a work program for lawyers, doesn't it? LOL

The AMA needs to take some responsibility for this climate. Doctors defending other doctors despite incompetence ....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes, our entire medical system DOES appear to be a work program for lawyers, doesn't it? LOL

The AMA needs to take some responsibility for this climate. Doctors defending other doctors despite incompetence ....
basically normal human behavior...protect your own and your own field

anytime people are involved, (which is all of life), then you got situations

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, don't forget to feed the lawyer, ya know? LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Yes, don't forget to feed the lawyer, ya know? LOL
LOL-LOL

yes their families need to eat also!

BUT I have lawyers in our family and yes, there is a true need for them, cause HUMANS make the need.

So lawyers need to survive also..LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, it is true, FarmerChick, lawyers do come in handy.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
So they are kind of like bacteria....

In small amounts, the friendly bacteria can live in harmony with the host. But if you get overgrowth, the host gets sick.

:gig

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I like your choice of analogy. No offense to any lawyers out there. Lawyers can be good people too.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
And speaking of MA....

"Massachusetts Health Care Experiment: Right Questions, Wrong Answers

Shikha Dalmia
March 20, 2009, 1:33pm

There is both good news and bad news for advocates of market-based approaches to health care.

The good news is that there is a growing recognition across the political spectrum that Massachusetts experiment with TonySopranoCare otherwise called universal health coverage -- is unworkable and unsustainable.

Three years ago the Bay State started forcing individuals and employers to purchase health coverage on the threat of penalties and fines. At the same time, it mandated insurance companies to sell Cadillac coverage (complete with in vitro fertilization and hair prostheses) to everyone regardless of health status. The first inflated demand for health care. The second diminished supply because not too many health care underwriters can do business under the prescribed conditions. The upshot? Massachusetts delivered a captive market to a cartelized insurance industry something that some of us had predicted at the outset would lead to spiraling health care costs.

The first signs that this prediction was panning out appeared last year when the Boston Globe reported that the costs for the state-subsidized portion of the plan which helped poor people purchase coverage were going to double over three years.

And now earlier this week, first, the New York Times Kevin Sack reported that although the state has avoided a massive shortfall in the program this year by imposing new taxes and fees which the then (REPUBLICAN) Governor Mitt Romney who authored the plan had said would never, ever be necessary its long-term outlook was bleak. Government and industry officials agree, Sack wrote, that the plan will not be sustainable over the next 5 to 10 yeas if they do not take significant steps to arrest the growth of health spending.

The next day the Institute for Americas Future, a liberal think tank, issued another scathing indictment of the Massachusetts plan. Among its findings:

Average health care premiums in the state are rising faster than the national average
Although the ranks of the uninsured have diminished in the state, thanks to massive subsidies for people up to 300% over the poverty limit, 100,000 people who dont qualify for state help are opting to pay the fine rather than purchase health care. In other words, Massachusetts residents now have to pay the state for the privilege of remaining uninsured in the state. This is something that I had predicted would happen (and hence coined the moniker TonySopranoCare to describe the Massachusetts plan).
Most devastatingly: 13% people who have coverage had to forego critical care or prescription drugs because they couldnt afford the co-pays meaning that even the insured in the Bay State have to forego care, defeating the whole purpose of universal coverage.
The bad news, however, is that the conclusion that the Institute and the liberal establishment is drawing is not surprise, surprise! -- that we need less government involvement in the Bay State health market, but more. At a conference call on Tuesday, one of the Institutes speakers made the jaw-dropping claim that Massachusetts problems all derived from its purely private system.

If the Bay States experience proved anything, they said, it was that you cant depend on a regulated private insurance industry to deliver affordable coverage. What is needed is for the government to itself jump into the insurance business with both feet and compete directly with private companies by offering its own Medicare-style health plan for Americans! This is what President Barack Obama and Senate Finance Committee Chair Max Baucus of Montana are supposedly now working on.

This will of course be a quick way of killing the private insurance industry and paving the way for nationalized health care.

Can anyone spell E-U-R-O-P-E?"

Reaction score
Mackay said:
So, I guess I would say that in many respects I am for a socialized medical system or a system that allows you the option for private or socialized medicine....and really really strict controls on the pharmaceutical, medical products and insurance industry.
That's where I'm at. I feel that if the govt offered a no frills program the insurance companies would come more in line. Hopefully there would be some better controls on litigation for malpractice. I may be wrong but I think that countries like Sweden with socialized medicine still do a lot of research. Hopefully our RN's won't be living in shacks. If the pharmaceutical companies weren't making so much money and the doctors weren't so beholden to them, maybe there would be a little more research in to holistic type healing also.

I agree that health care and health insurance is a real scam. I wih I was in good shape. Then I would just have coverage for major stuff. Even people in excellent health have heart attacks.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Even people in excellent health have heart attacks.
Not really. Skinny people who APPEAR to be healthy have heart attacks. Usually due to high triglyceride levels and a high c-reactive protein level caused by a diet high in plant oils, fructose, wheat, soy, and other "carbage". Outside they may look fine. Inside their arteries are hardening.