So I was already paranoid...

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
If we can't keep social security solvent how are we going to pay for universal healthcare?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
If we can't keep social security solvent how are we going to pay for universal healthcare?
We can't. Its all gonna come down and that's why many of us are hear trying to learn what we can do to survive....oh, eventually things will iron out, sometime after armageddon or such :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yeah...about 6 months after :p

Then we can all go out and get boat loads of credit cards and start all over again! (not!)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
The government will borrow and borrow until nobody will lend them anymore money. The thought used to be that the government would print and print until there are no more trees or until the paper became worthless; however, with the wonder of electronic money we will not need the trees. In the place of tangible paper money, we now have electronic numbers on a computer screen, and this "new" money will buy less and less until it becomes totally ridiculous.

In other words, inflation, and then hyperinflation, and unbelievable hyperinflation. This is what you get without a standard.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
May 14 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama, calling current deficit spending unsustainable, warned of skyrocketing interest rates for consumers if the U.S. continues to finance government by borrowing from other countries.

We cant keep on just borrowing from China, Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque. We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our childrens future with more and more debt.

Excuse me...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Maybe if the interest rates finally go up, we can make some money on our savings accounts? Sorry, but I could totally get on board with that.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
You're already paying for Universal Healthcare. Everytime someone who has no insurance or can't afford to pay their portion after insurance doesn't pay their bill the hospital passes on the cost to you and your insurance companies. If we could even get 50% of those without healthcare some kind of insurance that they could afford they could afford to go to doctor's offices instead of running to the emergency rooms with everything and more healthcare costs would actually be paid instead of defaulted on with all the accompanying collection and legal costs involved in that process.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
dacjohns said:
You're already paying for Universal Healthcare. Everytime someone who has no insurance or can't afford to pay their portion after insurance doesn't pay their bill the hospital passes on the cost to you and your insurance companies. If we could even get 50% of those without healthcare some kind of insurance that they could afford they could afford to go to doctor's offices instead of running to the emergency rooms with everything and more healthcare costs would actually be paid instead of defaulted on with all the accompanying collection and legal costs involved in that process.
But who is going to pay for their health insurance? We are. So we either pay for their hospital visit, or we pay for the enormous administration of yet another government entity on top of paying for their hospital visits. I don't see these people being able to afford anything if they can't afford it now. If it's cheap enough for them to afford, it's being subsidized by all of us. It just won't work.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
farmerlor said:
dacjohns said:
But who is going to pay for their health insurance? We are. So we either pay for their hospital visit, or we pay for the enormous administration of yet another government entity on top of paying for their hospital visits. I don't see these people being able to afford anything if they can't afford it now. If it's cheap enough for them to afford, it's being subsidized by all of us. It just won't work.
I think it could. We're already getting the regular insurance companies on board. They see the writing on the wall. If the government is going to offer me 400 dollar a month insurance with the same coverage I'm currently paying 1000 a month for, guess what? I'm dropping my employer insurance. So now those companies are finally deciding that maybe they could stream line processes, cut billion dollar CEO packages and become competitive. And lots of people can afford SOMETHING for health insurance they just can't afford a whole damn pay check.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
You're already paying for Universal Healthcare. Everytime someone who has no insurance or can't afford to pay their portion after insurance doesn't pay their bill the hospital passes on the cost to you and your insurance companies. .
and even with them passing some of the cost on to others 50% of US hospitals are running in the red! THATS HALF OF ALL OF THEM! teetering on bankruptcy!