So, tell me about the Diva cup.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D Can you hold a hot cuppa coffee and not spill it?
NO!!! Lol. I am so talented that I even manage to spill half full cups on myself!
So, more graphicness... When you pull it out, you're still going to be pretty bloody on the inside. How do you get it back in then? Hell, how do you make it to the sink to wash it off without trailing blood? I can just envision, well, like someone else said, I can envision it looking like a scene from a vicious murder movie!

I'm glad someone mentioned that it sits RIGHT inside. I assumed that it basically cupped the cervix. The softcup things said something about having sex while the cup is still inside, so that had me assuming.

Oh, and, is there a link for the different fold methods?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Um. Hm. Well, I don't trail blood because I empty it right there at the sink. Squat or just prop a foot.
For folding:
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/453392.html
A hilarious but informative page:
http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/more-cup-photos/

Note: neither of those pages are mine!

As far as where it sits, for me, right inside and right by the cervix are one and the same. Even if the cervix is hanging down in the cup, the rim of the cup is larger than the cervix, so the surrounding muscles should hold it in place just fine.

I don't think I've ever used the word cervix that many times in such short succession.
Cervix.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So, if you had a tipped cervix, would that create a problem? Tampons don't work for me, and could use a diaphragm b/c of it either.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I'll get graphic, I have no social mores and I like biology :lol:

Squat, squeeze the end gently, twist back and forth a teensy bit, and it slides out without spilling. Do not sneeze while doing this.
Alternately, you can just yank it out over the toilet and empty it that way.

Wildsky, I like your vinegar rinse idea! I always worry about soap reside.
:lol: :gig :yuckyuck

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We so need a midwife in here.
I haven't personally met any other cervixes. How should any of us know if we're tippers or textbooks?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I haven't personally met any other cervixes. How should any of us know if we're tippers or textbooks?
:gig I believe my sister has a cervix thats tipped. She loves her Diva - or I should say LOVED, she flushed it on accident (don't ask me how, I have no idea)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
the only way I found out was trying to get fitted for a diaphragm. that, and tampons do NOT stay in.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The reason I broke down and bought the Diva cup was because the tampons kept falling out. After my 4th kid was born all I had to do is sneeze and the stupid tampon would fall out. That and my flow was so heavy that I would have to wear the heaviest tampon and a pad and still change both ever hour. Now during my first two heavy days I empty the Diva cup about every 3 hours, the rest of the week I empty it when I get up and again when I go to bed.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very interesting thread ladies; thanks to all for the helpful and honest information. (As always!)

Can the Diva cup be used away from home? If it needs to be changed/rinsed throughout the day and you don't have a private sink (imagine a typical office bathroom with stalls), is it not really an option?

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My DD and I have been using the Diva cup for about a year now. She has a light flow and can get away with changing it twice a day but I've usually got a couple of heavy days that mean I will be emptying it every hour or two. Before using the cup I would be changing out both tampon and pad every hour for those days so I figure I've already saved quite a bit from the landfill :)

It takes some getting used to the insertion but it's easy once you get some practice - like mandieg4 said, if you can feel it, it's in wrong. As for when you are away from home, you can just empty it, wipe it off with toilet paper and reinsert.