Soap Making 101

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the food grade silicone spray on soap molds to make it easier to remove the soap? I have some tube molds I might want to try, but not if I cannot remove the soap from the mold. I have been studying websites and reading up on soap making. Salve making. What else can be made safely?... Scented linen sprays? Sachets? Of course potpourri, but I am not really into that. Hmmm...thinking......:caf

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Lip balm and body balms are easy to make!

I spray some of my molds with canola or olive oil to make them easier for removing soap. Silicone molds are excellent for soap molds and
don't even need spray at all. Good luck!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I watched a little clip from a history show the other night where a woman was making her OWN EO from mints and other herbs using a water distillation process.

Gives me something to get studying on! ;) Especially at the price most EO runs.
Most herbal EOs are produced by steam distillation (you call it water distillation) while most of the fruit and nut EOs are produced by pressing the fruit/nut. I usually try pressing first to extract the EO from the plant matter followed by steam distillation to get the seperation (the oils float on the condensed water) Lastly I will distill with alcohol which may become well scented but can not be called an essencial oil but rather a tinture. It usually scents soaps nicely as the alcohol evaporates and leaves the scents behind.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
~gd said:
Farmfresh said:
I watched a little clip from a history show the other night where a woman was making her OWN EO from mints and other herbs using a water distillation process.

Gives me something to get studying on! ;) Especially at the price most EO runs.
Most herbal EOs are produced by steam distillation (you call it water distillation) while most of the fruit and nut EOs are produced by pressing the fruit/nut. I usually try pressing first to extract the EO from the plant matter followed by steam distillation to get the seperation (the oils float on the condensed water) Lastly I will distill with alcohol which may become well scented but can not be called an essencial oil but rather a tinture. It usually scents soaps nicely as the alcohol evaporates and leaves the scents behind.
Any ideas for simple cheap distillation setups that I could use on the stove top ~gd?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my dad has decided not to make molds to sell. Sorry for any of you who were interested! There's just too much going on now to make them. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Hey everyone, my dad has decided not to make molds to sell. Sorry for any of you who were interested! There's just too much going on now to make them. :)
I didn't want to mention it while Aggie had her Dad on the job but my hubs is going to make one for me based on the measurements at Aggie's link.

He'd be happy to build additional ones--I can post photos and cost for anyone who is interested after he has built it--is there much interest?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd be interested, but I'd want to know exact dimension, lb of soap it could hold and price. Thanks :)

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
absolutely...3lb..what size bars??? how much including shipping to Oregon 97448 if you want specifics for calculations

I have been bugging my husband and he looks at me like..What is a hammer????..."the thing I'm going to beat you with"
Kristina