Solar Oven

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello there
Just wanted to say that I use my black crock pot w glass lid, in the sun with a cardboard box wrapped inside with aluminum foil around it. And a window over the whole thing. I turn the crock pot on for half an hour, turn it off, and then just let the sun do the rest, if the temperature inside stays hot. If the temperature dips, I turn it back on again.
It seems to do the trick very well at least in the summer.
lin

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are really interested.....now dont laugh and yes I am serious. Just park your vehicle in the sun, roll the windows up, and put your food in one of the windows. Tada. i read that somewhere :hu

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning my solar cooker. I thought I would use a mylar blanket, construct the box within another box. Insulate, they say densly compacted newspaper works great. I have a piece of round glass, old table top. I thought an old gi-normous lamp shade might work. Have you seen the ones made from umbrellas? That way you can close them up and store. Who knows. Now I got the bug again. Maybe I finish it next weekend. thanks for reminding me.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I am in the process of planning my solar cooker. I thought I would use a mylar blanket, construct the box within another box. Insulate, they say densly compacted newspaper works great. I have a piece of round glass, old table top. I thought an old gi-normous lamp shade might work. Have you seen the ones made from umbrellas? That way you can close them up and store. Who knows. Now I got the bug again. Maybe I finish it next weekend. thanks for reminding me.
Would love to see it when you are done. How about some pictures of it.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I read the post about the car in the sun it reminded me of a video I saw once about someone who would wrap their meal up and put in on their engine and then drive to do their errands, when they were done their food was cooked.
lin

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
When you are thinking about the glass lid, it is best to have a pretty good seal to keep the hot air inside. If you can, use a gasket or other material squishey material that will help make a good seal. Mine also has a couple of screw adjustable little metal tabs that you swivel around to really hold the lid on tight. I have noticed quite a big temp difference from just sitting the lid on and "locking" it down tight.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I read the post about the car in the sun it reminded me of a video I saw once about someone who would wrap their meal up and put in on their engine and then drive to do their errands, when they were done their food was cooked.
lin

***********HA HA HA Lin I thought the same thing!

They had this on the tv show Seinfeld also...Kramer wanted to cook his meals on Jerry's engine..HA HA HA

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, there are so many things to consider. Trial and error I am sure.

I saw a show once that mde little metal boxes to go inside the snowmobile engine compartment. Burito box I think they called it. My Rhino forum is big on these. They are fabbing one to hold cans. The ;time people have on their hands.....

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also there are some very good youtube videos on making solar ovens. There is also a new "how to" video site that is very good. I had saved some pizza boxes and made the solar oven that they described on one of the shows, But my trees get in the way.

Karen,
Maybe I'll try it. Some foil packs with potatoes and veggies. If it doesn't cook all the way then I can finish it in the microwave!!

lin

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to a community fair in Hoover Alabama today and they had these sun ovens for sale. They were cooking a cake in one and it had the whole area smelling great. The thep. on the gauge was 400 degrees and the cake looked wonderful. it would be a great purchase for emergency cooking. they were asking 250 smackers for one is that a good price?