Solar Oven

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
firem3 said:
I went to a community fair in Hoover Alabama today and they had these sun ovens for sale. They were cooking a cake in one and it had the whole area smelling great. The thep. on the gauge was 400 degrees and the cake looked wonderful. it would be a great purchase for emergency cooking. they were asking 250 smackers for one is that a good price?
Yes, if it the global sun oven brand cooker that is what they run online plus you are not paying shipping.
http://65.108.108.197/catalog/solarcookerskits-c-1.html?osCsid=f6dceab151a2b061b1d3d97c68d7bf7c

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I built the one that's a box within a box a couple of weeks ago. Used a Mylar emergency blanket and a round piece of glass on top.. It got pretty hot but I think my box was to deep and I never got my reflector on. I saw a different one thats smaller and self contained in wat looks like a suitcase. That is what I am gong to try and build next. I just cant justify the 250.00 to buy one. Just my .02. g

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you tube has a few of them if you need ideas

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you want one, i know someone who has posted a coupon.
www.eartheasy.com is where to get the deal.
Here's the coupon:
http://chilechews.blogspot.com/2008/08/coupon-for-solar-oven-more.html
This coupon is good until august 2009. I plan to use it soon. I'm sure if you buy it, you'll be able to give others coupons as well!
>^.^<

Wanted to add that for $245 + $20 shipping + 10% off is a great deal for a hybrid solar oven! You can also use the coupon for anything else on the website.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a solar oven that I bought. I have been using it for a couple of years now. I am still learning and experimenting with my solar oven. My favorite thing to cook is beans. There are many different uses, including pasteurizing water in a survival situation. I have even used my solar oven to sterilize seed starting mix that I made. There are many different models on the market with various price ranges, but I do not think it would be too difficult to make one. Something to keep in mind, food has to stay above 150 degrees while cooking to keep bacteria from growing in the food so temperature is important. This is where I bought mine:

http://www.solarovens.org/

PS- I saw in this thread where someone was able to make brownies in their solar oven. I am impressed! I tried that one time, and the brownies did not turn out very well. I believe the problem was my oven was not getting hot enough. However, I have made brownies in a Dutch oven over a camp fire with success. ;)

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made myself a solar oven that looks much like the Zenbirder's from a previous post. It works great. I have baked bread in it. I am thinking of building myself another one. The reflectors on my oven are made of particle board covered with aluminum foil. Next time I will use reflective mylar. That should give me more sun reflection into the oven therefore more heat.

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thats fascinating. I watched the vid on the SunOven site and I guess it acts like a crock pot. Stock it in the a. m., eat it in the p.m.

Thats pretty cool.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We used a cardboard box and lined it with aluminum foil. We put part of a windshield over the top to hold the heat in some. That simple. It would cook a microwave burrito from frozen to burn your mouth done in about 45 minutes. This was in Colorado, summertime, at about 5000 feet.

There are lots of fancy ones out there, but try making your own.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Sorry to say but me thinks this is a necropost as the OP has not been around for a year. Still good advice, but my oven is better.