Solar Storms and the 2012 Prophecy

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Aside from writing (probably useless) letters to Congress, what can the average person do to protect their own electronics? If anything? I've read about putting small things (radios, e.g.) in old ammo cans, that sort of thing. But considering there are electronics in large appliances & cars...or is it pointless to even worry about it? :/
Aside from what you mentioned, a Faraday cage (also called a Hoffman box), not too much. In weaker events a spike protector may provide some help for transients on the electrical system, and even having a metal roof may provide a small amount of protection.

However, the type of events that most are discussing here would probably render anything, except a properly constructed Faraday cage, useless. This type of event would end up in a grid down situation, and as far as I can find, nobody has ever tested solar panels for the effects of EMP or solar storms.

I have a rather large Faraday cage constructed in my Ham shack where I store keep my extra radios, a small solar panel, and a few other things. However, I have been considering attempting to make the whole shack ( a 12x24 building) a Faraday cage, but it is way down on my list of projects.

ETA: For anyone not familiar with a Faraday cage, it is essentially a box (can be any size) made of conducting metal material, in which sensitive electronic items are placed. There should be some type of insulating material between the box, and the items placed inside, so that the items inside do not come in contact with the box. The box is then grounded. Any electromagnetic pulse would flow around the outside of the box and be directed to ground.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So is electric equipment that is not plugged in be at risk?

So those with metal storage buildings and barns should move their important stuff in there?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Mackay said:
So is electric equipment that is not plugged in be at risk?

So those with metal storage buildings and barns should move their important stuff in there?
In all but the most extreme solar storms most electronics may be OK if unplugged, but since one hasn't happened during the electronic age, nobody knows for sure. If it happens to occur as previously discussed, while there is a weakened magnetosphere, then all bets are off.

Power and phone lines work like very long antennas, collecting electromagnetic energy and passing it along to whatever happens to be plugged in. However, if the solar storm is power enough (like in a nuclear induced Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP), then just the circuits of the electronic boards could collect enough energy to cause damage.

You have a much better chance of things surviving in a metal building, but you would want to close any gaps or openings (such as windows) with metal screen that is electrically connected to the metal covering. Be aware though, that any electrical or phone lines entering in the building could conceivably allow the pulse to enter the building.

Do an internet search for "EMP Protection" and follow the guidlines, and you should be OK.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I know that a lightning hit on your house or even nearby can take out your computer and your TV. If they are plugged in. Even if they are turned off.I can't see how they could get fried if they aren't plugged in.

That being said. In the Army they taught us that any unhardened electronics would be fried by an electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear release.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Even unplugged, in a severe solar storm, they can get fried because the same principals are in play as that in an EMP event. That is, highly charged, fast moving particles striking the circuit board traces and inducing a current. A solar storm is essentially an EMP event, minus the bomb.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have been following this topic since it started and really have no comments but find it interesting as usual. I love these topics.

A few questions though:
If in the event there is such a powerful solar storm as to put the entire grid down, take out everyones electronics, etc. What would be the point in saving your own? What would you do with a normal radio, presumably, there would be nothing to listen to. Save your phone, who would you call?
I can understand saving a shortwave radio, because there is a great possibility of being able to communicate with someone else who saved theres. But other than that, wouldn't we just be saving a bunch of useless electronic equipment?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
If in the event there is such a powerful solar storm as to put the entire grid down, take out everyones electronics, etc. What would be the point in saving your own? What would you do with a normal radio, presumably, there would be nothing to listen to. Save your phone, who would you call?
That's what I asked the other day, is there any point in protecting what you have (if there's nothing to plug it into, being as there's no electricity anywhere)? I suppose once the grid is back up, your stuff is ready to go...

I guess I can see protecting a few of my things, my emergency radio with the manual charger & my two-way radios (until they lose their battery charge)....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
2dream said:
That's what I asked the other day, is there any point in protecting what you have (if there's nothing to plug it into, being as there's no electricity anywhere)? I suppose once the grid is back up, your stuff is ready to go...

I guess I can see protecting a few of my things, my emergency radio with the manual charger & my two-way radios (until they lose their battery charge)....
Maybe I am reading this whole topic wrong - I am getting that with this major solar storm prediction that things are going to be "MAJORLY" bad. End times bad. That was the reason for my question. I can see saving your electronics in the event of a minor, few days or weeks, grid down situation.

Not being the brightest crayon in the box lately - I wonder what I am missing or not understanding.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
2dream said:
I have been following this topic since it started and really have no comments but find it interesting as usual. I love these topics.

A few questions though:
I can understand saving a shortwave radio, because there is a great possibility of being able to communicate with someone else who saved theres. But other than that, wouldn't we just be saving a bunch of useless electronic equipment?
It's a matter of degree. There's no one size fits all solar storm, and the effects could vary by region. What if the storm is powerful enough to destroy sensitive electronics connected to the grid, but not enough to totally destroy the grid? Personally, I'd opt for protecting what I could, and if it turned out that they are useless after, oh well at least I tried.

There may still be some form of informational radio out there. The government as the facilities to establish broadcasting stations to put emergency information out on the public bands, most likely the AM band. Getting and protecting a solar charging system, and extra rechargeable batteries, for your radios would be a good idea.

As for all of the other electronic fluff that we have laying around... I know that I will definitely be protecting my blender, 'cause once things are finally back up, I'm going to NEED a Margarita!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
k0xxx - ok, got it - save AM radio and blender.

All of that makes sense. I guess because I am "electronic equipment challenged" and even more "solar storm knowledged" challenged, some things have to be totally explained and pointed out to me.