South Carolina?

McNugget

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Or only give you credit towards your bill?
Net Meeting for now. But, I have my application in to the PaCE program where I can sell to the grid and by back what I use at a reduced rate.

lovemychicks9

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi I am pretty new here, I live in the upstate too, and I have chickens and doggies. I live on 2 acres also heavily wooded and very hilly, I so want to have a garden but we live on a hill and it is all down hill from the front to the back. The back of our property is on the middle Tiger river. I really want to have a garden but all we have is red clay. Everywhere! I have found a little spot of land , pretty flat but what can I do to improve the soil by next spring so I can attempt a garden ? Any good ideas would be MUCH appreciated. :thumbsup

Silver Poni

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am new on here and we would love to go to solar!
We have a garden and some chickens on 8 acres. It is mostly open and solar would be great or even some wind turbines but everything is costly.
I like putting our well water in black barrels for a day and making the family use it for bath water at night.

For a garden with red clay I would get some compost from a local horse farm. They have piles of it usually and it isn't as hot as chicken manure. You could plow that up in your garden and shore up a few rows with wood timbers to keep it from washing. It may be just a workable thing for this summer and next spring be better for planting.
We also grow quite a bit in plastic tubs we cut down from barrels or buy those plastic pools and punch some big holes in the bottom. It wouldn't be as easy for stuff to wash out of that and the roots will eventually grab onto some dirt underneath.
We are lucky to have some great soil here near the NC state line.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lovemychicks9 said:
Hi I am pretty new here, I live in the upstate too, and I have chickens and doggies. I live on 2 acres also heavily wooded and very hilly, I so want to have a garden but we live on a hill and it is all down hill from the front to the back. The back of our property is on the middle Tiger river. I really want to have a garden but all we have is red clay. Everywhere! I have found a little spot of land , pretty flat but what can I do to improve the soil by next spring so I can attempt a garden ? Any good ideas would be MUCH appreciated. :thumbsup
Compost and manure will help immensely. Have you thought of maybe "terracing" the hill? A series of raised beds, stairstepping down the hill? It would level each bed out and look very cool!

Silver Poni, :welcome

Silver Poni

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!
I hope I can learn a few things to help us during this rough time.

RunVampRun

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
upstate S.C. area...do back yard raised bed gardening and enjoy being frugal!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Love Charleston area...had my honeymoon there.

above ya in NC (between Charlotte and Hickory area)

WELCOME to the site...jump in and become self sufficient as much as ya can.

Silver Poni

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am used to much more chatter. I had forgotten I was even on this thread!

Hope everyone made it through the snow well enough. I am waiting on some more.