Spelling and grammar

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
me&thegals said:
So glad I'm not the only grammar snob out there! My job is medical transcription, so 4 hours every day I am editing grammar and double-checking spelling.

Gotta tell ya (oops), some posts make my brain screech to a stop and say, "Huh?!?"
I can be a grammar snob but this thread is meant to be fun. I really hope we don't get too picky or hurt feelings. I have already done that unintentionally so I backed off for awhile and don't use that persons typos or mistakes anymore.
It won't hurt my feelings if you pick on me, ;) but I think you already know, I pick back (and stalk!) :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I don't know weather to laugh or whether to cry :p

:gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I like Bill O'Reilly.

I go with comma before the and or the or.

Something that has changed is that now only one space after a period is the correct way. I disagree, two spaces make it more visible that you are at the end of a sentence.
That all depends on the writing style you are using. MLA says one space. Some of the more technical styles (APA, maybe?) use two spaces. Carl types with two spaces. I use one. But I remember that you taught me to use two spaces. Until I had to start writing in MLA in college. Then I changed. And one space is faster.:D

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
clstratton said:
dacjohns said:
I like Bill O'Reilly.

I go with comma before the and or the or.

Something that has changed is that now only one space after a period is the correct way. I disagree, two spaces make it more visible that you are at the end of a sentence.
That all depends on the writing style you are using. MLA says one space. Some of the more technical styles (APA, maybe?) use two spaces. Carl types with two spaces. I use one. But I remember that you taught me to use two spaces. Until I had to start writing in MLA in college. Then I changed. And one space is faster.:D
I was taught two spaces (back in the day of the Royal manual, 85 WPM) and I'll never be able to stop - my typing skills are ingrained, hit that period and the left thumb hits the spacebar twice.

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Found this on a friend's blog this morning. Sure hope they aren't on this forum. Somehow I doubt they are. I will change the name though.

"We really enjoyed the one warm day we had to bad bill had to work so he didn't get to enjoy it as much...but when he got home we drug him away from homework and made him come and play."

Took me a few readings to figure it out. I have another blogging friend with bad grammar too. But I like to know what is going on with these people, so I endure. Can you believe both of them have a college edukashun?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, please, I have a friend whose e-mails are barely decipherable. No capitalization, no commas, run on sentences, and absolutely no paragraphs. My eyes scream for white space! I truly can barely understand what she's saying, and her e-mails are many, many lines long. I truly believe it's representative of how your mind works, and if hers is truly that scattered, I feel so sorry for her!

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Oh, please, I have a friend whose e-mails are barely decipherable. No capitalization, no commas, run on sentences, and absolutely no paragraphs. My eyes scream for white space! I truly can barely understand what she's saying, and her e-mails are many, many lines long. I truly believe it's representative of how your mind works, and if hers is truly that scattered, I feel so sorry for her!
You must be friends with Rosie O'Donnell. :gig

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
clstratton said:
reinbeau said:
You must be friends with Rosie O'Donnell. :gig
:barnie Now that was jusut plain mean! :gig