Spinning adventure

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:weee I got a fleece! I got a fleece!!!!!

Thanks to a very kind and thoughtful person here on ss, a box arrived....it was on the counter when I came home yesterday.

I kept asking....what's that smell???? :p Then I opened the box....and.... :weee It was tightly tied up in a clear plastic bag, looking so small and forlorn. It would have to wait, as it was a busy day here on Thursday.

Several times, I hunted the kitchen for "that smell...." Then I remembered the fleece. And the bag was sealed so tightly....what was that thing going to smell like when I opened it? Yikes!

Tonight, I decided I needed some brainless tube watching, and set up the card table and my portable OttLite and a trash can. I opened the bag and that forlorn little fleece explanded! And it smelled just fine, reminiscent of cows. Mmmm..... As I explored the new textures of raw wool for the first time, the smell got better and better. Before long, I wondered that I ever considered it unpleasant in any way. Amazing how a little positive association can change one's perspective.

I spent two hours picking straw and hay and a ladybug wing out of the fleece, enjoying the different textures that came through my fingers. It is amazing how much fleece was packed into that tiny box! I got maybe 80% of it picked clean before I had to pack it up for the night. I can't wait to work on it tomorrow night, and then get it cleaned and ready for carding. Being a newbie, I really don't know how clean it needs to be.

At first I thought I'd wash it with hot water and shampoo to remove the lanolin and get it super clean....that smell.....but now I am thinking I will take a gentler approach to it, as I really like the smell now and can always wash it thoroughly later.....right? I want to try spinning it with the grease intact, for the first attempt, anyways.

I've come to the conclusion that the only reason I thought it smelled wrong in any way was that it was on the kitchen counter, in my food prep area, and my brain couldn't reconcile the smell of sheep when I reached into my cupboard for tea! :lol: Especially since I didn't know it was there. We were moving my folks from our house into their new apartment, and there were boxes all over the place. I didn't notice it.

It really is lovely, and I can't wait to get back to it. I even remembered to take some pictures, which will have to wait for dh to download.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee for you! That's great that you've now got some fleece. I think you're a brave woman, as that's not something I'd even consider doing.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Congratulations!! And don't wash it in hot water! Soak gently in cold water with a little dish soap, rinse gently. The more motion and heat, the more it will felt together. I spin mine "in the grease"- it makes your hands really soft from the lanolin :D Pick it clean enough so you aren't spinning hay into your yarn. Do you have a drop spindle or a wheel? I have a wheel, but I haven't had a place for it since we moved here 7 years ago, so I sit in the living room in front of the TV and use the drop spindle. I card a big basket of roving and just spin.

I am going to call the alpaca farm down the street from me and try to get an alpaca fleece this year :woot Of course, I haven't finished my brown sheep fleece or my white sheep fleece yet...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I will wash it gently! I don't have either a drop spindle or a spinning wheel, but I plan on making a drop spindle. Apparently you can make one with an old cd! How's that for recycling!

I really look forward to carding it the most, since getting my grandmother's carders is what inspired me to go on a quest for a fleece. Even if I don't like spinning or am not good at it, I would like to eventually get more fleeces and make a quilt for our bed. I was reading up on it last night in Carla Emery's book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. I haven't been able to find anything about stuffing quilts online....just where to buy batting or where to send your fleece to have someone else make the batting for you.

Carla says you can get at least 25 years out of a woolen quilt if you make a separate cover and wash that regularly. I already have a duvet with a nice cover that I made for it, so I would just make my wool-stuffed duvet the same size. How many fleeces would I need for a king-size bed? Whew! I will be picking out straw and bits of grass for the rest of my life! :p

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds lovely! I called a sheep farm here (not wool, they produce meat) because they had an ad for ewes on our local classifieds... I asked if he sold the fleeces when they shear them... he said they are shearing next weekend so if I go down I can take home one of each colour... their wool is mostly a waste product... immediately my brain wondered what I could do with 300 low-medium quality fleeces, but hubby nixed that and I am allowed to go pick up three.

I'm SO looking forward to trying it. My boyfriend goes to bed at 6 or 7pm (he works at 3am) so I have to be relatively quiet in the house after that... I think spinning will be a great hobby to try out.

Freemotion, you'll have to keep us updated on your progress :thumbsup

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
That sounds lovely! I called a sheep farm here (not wool, they produce meat) because they had an ad for ewes on our local classifieds... I asked if he sold the fleeces when they shear them... he said they are shearing next weekend so if I go down I can take home one of each colour... their wool is mostly a waste product... immediately my brain wondered what I could do with 300 low-medium quality fleeces, but hubby nixed that and I am allowed to go pick up three.

I'm SO looking forward to trying it. My boyfriend goes to bed at 6 or 7pm (he works at 3am) so I have to be relatively quiet in the house after that... I think spinning will be a great hobby to try out.

You have a hubby AND a boyfriend? ;)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crusty McPottydoodle said:
You have a hubby AND a boyfriend? ;)
lol.... one is plenty for me... I guess I use the terms interchangeably... we're not officially married, but it's been so long I call him the hubby.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:

Soooo, its a waste product to them, but you can have only one of each color!?!?!??!?!
I'd pay to have a few shipped to me!!!!!
Any chance of that being a possibility?
:fl :fl :fl

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My white fleece was a freebie- from the Big E state fair. They were doing a shearing demo and I asked the guy what they did with the fleece when they were done. He said they THROW IT AWAY!! He said if I could find something to carry it in I could have it. SCORE! :D Yes, it is a medium quality, but it is certainly useable.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
hwillm1977 said:

Soooo, its a waste product to them, but you can have only one of each color!?!?!??!?!
I'd pay to have a few shipped to me!!!!!
Any chance of that being a possibility?
:fl :fl :fl
I can ask for sure... I don't know if it would be good quality fleece though... they are Dorper/Texel crosses