Spinning adventure

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
hwillm1977 said:
That sounds lovely! I called a sheep farm here (not wool, they produce meat) because they had an ad for ewes on our local classifieds... I asked if he sold the fleeces when they shear them... he said they are shearing next weekend so if I go down I can take home one of each colour... their wool is mostly a waste product... immediately my brain wondered what I could do with 300 low-medium quality fleeces, but hubby nixed that and I am allowed to go pick up three.

I'm SO looking forward to trying it. My boyfriend goes to bed at 6 or 7pm (he works at 3am) so I have to be relatively quiet in the house after that... I think spinning will be a great hobby to try out.

Freemotion, you'll have to keep us updated on your progress :thumbsup
Soooo, its a waste product to them, but you can have only one of each color!?!?!??!?!
I'd pay to have a few shipped to me!!!!!
Any chance of that being a possibility?
:fl :fl :fl
I can ask for sure... I don't know if it would be good quality fleece though... they are Dorper/Texel crosses
I am not to concerned about quality at this point.
I just need fleece to learn on, and I am not to inclined to buy high quality at the get go.
THanks for checking!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I have a Dorper, and I can tell you their 'wool' is pretty short, and has lots of rough hairs mixed in. My Dorper's hair is only about an inch long, and she's shedding it like crazy. If I can gather enough I plan on using it as a mulch.

I don't know about Texel, it might make it longer.................

Edited to add - Free, please keep us updated on your fleece adventures. I sheared my shetland and have 2 bags of fleece sitting in my utility room. Can't wait to start in on it.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I always wanted to try spinning. I even have a spindle. I even got hold of some waste sheeps wool, it is really dirty though, so I ended up using it as mulch. The chickens scratched the he!! out of it and now I have been picking it out of my strawberry bed for the last 2 years. I just don't care for fuzzy strawberries. :lol:
I just have too many little projects/experiments going :lol:

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
The waste sheep wool is probably the skirting that gets cut off from the edges of the fleece when it is sheared. Those trimmings tend to be really really dirty.

A utility fleece is fine to practice on- and it is actually harder to spin, so when you get to the lovely long staple fleeces you are an expert at getting a uniform yarn. ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
valmom said:
The waste sheep wool is probably the skirting that gets cut off from the edges of the fleece when it is sheared. Those trimmings tend to be really really dirty.

A utility fleece is fine to practice on- and it is actually harder to spin, so when you get to the lovely long staple fleeces you are an expert at getting a uniform yarn. ;)
Good info!
And if nothing else, one can make wool pillows once its been played around with :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So glad you got the fleece. Its not a whole lot...and yes the "smell" is something you have to get used too. As you start spinning it, you will notice all the lanolin in there. Sonny boy just has the BEST lanolin! I am hopeing next year his fleece will be a better quality. This year he lost it all due to stress. :( I will be spinning mine with the lanolin on. I like the scent, the feel..and..its LOTS easier to wash once spun. Less likely to felt! I have felted some of the fleece...but because I dont know exactly what I am doing...it didnt turn out too great. So, I will make potholders, and use the felt for stuffing them. :/ I cant waite to hear all about your adventure with it. :D
ETA: I also have 3 pomeranians....who have the most wonderfullly soft fur. The last time I clipped them. I was able to save thier fur, and am in the process of spinning it into yarn. Its a very different feel..more wirery..but, Once the little barkers are gone, I will have something to remember them by. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So, how do you recommend that I wash it? I just finished picking in, and it is ready to be washed. I am enjoying the smell, btw! Really!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It took me a while to get used to the smell...but now I LOVE it! I will go out there and grab one of the babies, and smell thier heads...just like MOST women do human babies! LOL
IF you want to wash it before you spin it...this is what I did.
Fill the kitchen sink about half way with luke warm water...turn off the water, THEN add dishsoap. No need for bubbles. :)
Then put a few good handfulls of wool in the water...and very carefully...just flip it over in the water. Push it down under the water, and flip a few more times. DO NOT AGITATE. This will cause felting. ( unless you want felt) Fill the other sink with clean rinse water...and transfer it over. Rinse the same way...slowly, carefully.
Pull the wool from the water, and place it on a towel...wring it out well...then lay it out somewhere to dry. Make sure it dries well...so as not to mold when storeing it. I first started storeing mine in plastic bags...now I store it in cloth. Like pillow cases...or just a large square of cloth, tied up in the corners. Most of all..have fun with it. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So this will keep the lanolin in....warm water? If I wanted to remove lanolin...hot water? I want to keep it a littly greasy, just clean it a bit. I can't wait to spin it!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh no. If you wash it....it will remove 98% of the lanolin. Thats why I will spin mine unwashed this time. After you wpin it into yarn...and make something with it...then wash the "garment" ( whatever you make from it) Washing the wool removes the lanolin.