Spinning adventure

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Soap will remove almost all the lanolin. I find it 100% easier to wash the yarn after I spin it, and I have the bonus that if it does felt, it only makes more interesting yarn, and it softens my hands while I spin it. I also have a problem getting all the soap out of the raw fleece- way time consuming and tricky for me. I like foolproof and easy :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, crap, I was so tired yesterday and really needed some distraction in the evening so I soaked the fleece three times in shampoo and then in dish soap. Then twice in clean water. It is draining now to go outside and dry so maybe I can card tonight after teaching.

I used cool/warm water. The water didn't look greasy, and the wool is far from clean. There are still clumpy/poo-ey spots, and I didn't see how I could card and spin with it that....um....dirty? I wish I could see a picture of how dirty/clean it needs to or can be....what level of dirt can be tolerated?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I would cut out any clumpy/ poo-ey spots. Part of skirting the fleece is to get rid of the poo. I tolerate hay and seeds and some dirt- poo, not so much. The hay and seeds will come off when you card it, usually. I card over an old bedsheet on the floor underneath me. Or outside.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did get rid of the real poopy parts, but some of the tips are just dirty. It reminded me of giving horses spring baths...the first one doesn't even get them wet, they are so dirty! And at least I can scrub-scrub-scrub a horse without felting it! :lol:

The fleece is out on the front walk, in three parts. I put a piece in each of three of my plastic soda-can trays and stacked them up, and put a couple of cake racks on top so no fleece would blow away on our blustery....and very dry....day.

Some may remember that I use these trays in the car as a big dehydrator for herbs and such. So I will do that if they are not dry by tonight...I'll put them in the car for a while tomorrow.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
It's amazing what carding will do for those tips that are glued together. Then spin it, then wash it again.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do your carders get dirty and need to be cleaned? Mine are very old, but in sturdy condition. They are hardwood with leather covers holding the wires in place. I don't want to have to wash them if I can avoid it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, the fleece is STILL wet....damp, anyways. I keep turning it and putting it outside in the daytime, bringing it in at night. I will need to get more of the water out next time.

I got tired of waiting for it to dry, so last night I got out the carders and felt around the pile of fleece for some dryish spots. I went online to a site that has video tutorials and watched them over and over....and over and over and over. http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/hand-carding.shtml It looks so simple when she does it, but when I tried, I was so awkward! My first few rolags were big and sloppy.

My last few were small and neat, but very small. Too small. But it got easier. I also figure the rolags will dry more quickly.

I discovered that I can continue the cleaning process during the carding process, so I don't have to be quite so fussy next time. It was amazing what I missed, too, in spite of being fussy! Entire seed heads!

I carded about a third of one of my three trays of fleece.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Yep- practice makes perfect.

I wouldn't clean my carders- I brush them backwards with an old hairbrush if I feel they are accumulating stuff. Or I just pick stuff out by hand. Carding really cleans the wool best!

I hope it dries someday! :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm starting to understand why my friend who spins sends her fleeces out to be cleaned....
You are a very patient woman! :cool: