Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I experimented with sprouted wheat berries about 12 years ago. I dried the wheat after sprouting, ground it in the Vitamix, then used like regular flour. Same result, crusty on the outside and like bread pudding in the middle.

Since then I bought some bags of various sprouted flours and had good results making bread.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I soaked coarse flour in the amount of water for a bread recipe. I left it in the fridge overnight. DS14 washed dishes and lost the bread machine paddle. I don't have time to make it by hand today.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw sprouted wheat flour at a bulk food store yesterday. $2.97/pound. 😲 That sticker shock is keeping me going right now.

I'm trying the coarse ground flour in a simple bread loaf. It is less-bad than my last experiment (so far). Beginning of second rise:View attachment 16832
I'm dumping my sourdough and starting again

Maybe one day I'll get it right 🤔

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Kitchenaid heats up? I think I'd skip that one.

Maybe you could make flat bread? Roll it out thin like a tortilla?

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I soaked coarse flour in the amount of water for a bread recipe. I left it in the fridge overnight. DS14 washed dishes and lost the bread machine paddle. I don't have time to make it by hand today.
Bread machine paddle has been found! 🙌 Can't wait to try it tomorrow. Same recipe, difference being letting the flour and liquid soak and rest.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This is soaked loaf before second rise. The dough felt better, but still heavy/dense. I don't know how much heaviness is normal for whole wheat.

The wheat/liquid mash started to oxidize in the fridge. 2 days is not better than overnight.
20211026_104336.jpg

Latest posts