SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another great culture to study is the Tokelau Natives. They lived on fish and coconuts and did not cultivate other crops. They were very healthy. Then a supply boat from New Zealand started making regular stops and flour, sugar and powdered milk were now part of their diet. Diseases this culture had never experienced started popping up...

Heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and obesity.

Then the boat broke down and there were no shipments for a while. They returned to their native fish and coconuts diet. They lost weight, the diabetes symptoms reversed, the high blood pressure went away....

Reaction score
Must have been quite a while.

Thank's for the info on Coffee Mate. When I originally looked at the label it said 3% fat. Today I looked at it and it actually said 1 serving(tsp) contains 3% of suggested daily fat intake. Like you guys said it is corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. I have about 3 12 oz cups a day with 3 teaspoons of creamer in each cup. So I guess I'm getting 27% of my daily intake from a very bad source.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm....27% of your daily requirement....of plastic??? Put some real cream in your coffee....wait, nevermind. You can't get real cream anymore, just the ultrapasteurized stuff. Read up on that lovely little process, and you, too, will start reading up on purchasing a dairy animal!

Maybe there is a person nearby who will sell you some real milk. In some states, you will have to buy it, from a trusted clean source, for your "soap-making" project, not for human consumption. ;)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
According to the text book I have it was only 5 months without sugar, flour and starchy foods.

"...the atoll hospitals reported a shortage of business during the enforced isolation. It was reported that the Tokelauans had been very healthy during that time and had returned to the pre-European diet of coconut and fish."

This is also the same time that there was a voluntary program to have people on the atoll move to New Zealand since they were worried about overpopulation on Tokelau. For the immigrants to NZ "the move brougt immediate and extensive changes in diet: bread and potatoes replaced breadfruit, meat replaced fish, and coconuts virtually vanished from the diet. Fat and saturated fat consumption dropped, to be replaced once again by carbohydrates, the big difference being due to the big increase in sucrose consumption. This coincided with an almost immediate increase in weight and blood pressure , and a decrease in cholesterol levels - all more pronounced than the increases witness on Tokelau. Hypertension was twice as common among immigrants as among the Tokelauans who remained on the island. The migrants also had an exceptionally high incidence of diabetes, gout, osteoarthritis, as well as hypertension. Electrocardiographic evidence suggested that the migrants were at higher risk for coronary heart disease than were non-migrants." - Gary Taubes

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Read up on that lovely little process, and you, too, will start reading up on purchasing a dairy animal!
If I had room, that would already be happening.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Must have been quite a while.
I don't know how long it was for that tribe, but in the study my dh was in, ALL of the patients who were on meds dramatically reduced or elimated their need for meds within the twelve-week study period. A wide variety of meds. That is less than three months.

Think big pharma wants you to know about this? And since they determine a lot of what the docs learn in med school and after, most docs don't know about this. They still think calorie restriction and low-fat diets work. They don't. They still send people to Weight Watchers or even put them on severe calorie restricted liquid diets! Or worse, bariatric surgeries. Aaarrrrgh! :he

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pasturization...wow, I had no idea.

I also read thay are going to start pasturizing apple cider, or have they already done that and I missed it?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here is another great native diet study.

http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/
"For the past ten years, Dr. Wortman has served in senior management positions in the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch of Health Canada where he is currently the Senior Medical Advisor. He recently completed a two-year research interchange at the UBC Faculty of Medicine where he studied the role of traditional diet in the prevention and treatment of obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in First Nations.

In 2003, Dr. Wortman received the National Aboriginal Achievement Award for Medicine. Dr. Wortman lives in West Vancouver with his wife and young son.

The Diet

The study diet is based on the traditional diet (wild salmon, oolichan grease) but also includes modern market foods, (bacon, eggs). i.e. foods that have protein and fat but no starch or sugar. Vegetables, meat and some fats were allowed on Dr. Wortman's diet.

Permitted foods include; beef, pork, chicken, fish or seafood, cauliflower, broccoli, all the salad greens, eggs, cream, but not milk. Milk contains lactose, which is sugar.

Not permitted are starches like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and sugar. Dr. Jay Wortman believes that it was the introduction of these by Europeans over a hundred and fifty years ago that caused the rise of diabetes and obesity.

And so the key to this diet is the avoidance of starch and sugar because those were not common components of a traditional diet.

An interesting component is oolichan grease. It's a very healthy fat and in the fact it was a big part of the diet in the past, was one of the reasons it was such a healthy diet."

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, they are pasteurizing almost everything now. It is cheaper than clean equipment and procedures, and saves them from the ubiquitous lawsuit.

You can still find raw cider vinegar in health food stores.

I was in Whole Foods today, and there are almost no whole foods in that store anymore, outside the produce section. It is just a big, fake organic processed food store now. I was looking for the ingredients for some homemade face moisturizer, goat's milk lotion, and cream deoderant I want to try. I couldn't find most of what I was looking for, and what I did find was in ridiculously expensive and tiny containers. Like arrowroot powder in a spice jar for almost $3. And cocoa butter in a one ounce tube for $2.59!

I bought a little rice and organic popcorn and 10 cardamom pods and a few nutmegs. Left in disgust, determined to keep a detailed list and plan ahead and only shop online from now on.

Funny thing is, the guy who helped me find these tiny, hidden items agreed with my complaints and said he hears the same thing from customers many times a day. When I contacted the company last time I was in, they said they took the whole items out (mostly bulk section) due to lack of sales. They said they would special order for me. When I e-mailed the list, as they directed me to, no one replied. Twice.

I'm done with Whole Foods.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, wz, I tried pretty much that diet (w/o the oolichan grease, no clue what that is!) with dh and was amazed at my energy increase. But within a few days, I couldn't sleep due to over-production of adreneline. I did better when I carefully added whole-food carbs back into my diet, still nothing refined though.

I thought my genetics might gear me towards that type of eating, since one of my Canadian-roots grandmothers looked pure Eskimo when she was younger. But, alas.

DH loved eating that way, and his cholesterol went down by 35 pts right away and he felt great....more energy, clearer thinking, weight loss. But it was only on the lgi lifestyle, basically the same but adding a target of 2-3 lbs of lgi veggies per day, that he dropped a ton of weight and the bp and cholesterol went down to very healthy levels.

So it is obvious we are both genetically geared towards that type of eating. So big gardens it is! And lots of meat, eggs, and some dairy....raw, of course! the dairy, that is, not the meat and eggs...:sick