Reaction score

Attachments

• 20210904_093711.jpg
    20210904_093711.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 93

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally caved and spent the money to get the last needed treadle feeders. It's taken a couple years since they are so expensive. That will help with rodent issues, and even more so with the red winged blackbird issues.

Then the first pen of silkies threw temper tantrums and tried to tell me I was starving them because they refused to step near the open feeder. It's been 3 weeks for the first pen and I just changed it from halfway open to closed tonight. Tomorrow they will yell at me again. Stubborn birds.

The ameraucana and easter eggers got over it and were slamming the feeder open like champs in 5 days. Then they have taught all chicks raised in there to use it instead of the bowls chicks get. They couldn't open it alone but they are smart.

20210509_184420.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Treadle feeders for chickens? I didn't know! I like that!

I have a bin feeder for the pigs, they have to flip up the lid to get to the pellets. It holds 150 pounds.

coffee is ready, it's 61F degrees this morning!! But will rise to 94F today. But at least it is starting to cool off.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Attempt 2 at relish today. Different recipe. Substituted Anaheim peppers for Bells. I think this one will work better.

Silkies were screaming at me when I let them out. Telling me that I'm starving them and following me as I took food to the pens with babies. When silkies follow they are underfoot. The roosters don't fight so Ashes just let Broly march on in.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does it take more than one silkie to make the feeder open? Maybe put a little feed ON the flap to make them step onto the treadle? Chickens are pretty smart!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One adult silkie has no issues. They are just very stubborn. They know how it works now as Ive seen them use it. They just dont like it.

They complain each spring when I take their water bowls and make them use the drinking cups as well. They cant get their heads into the drinking cups to wet down the crests. My large fowl prefer the cups except for in high heat when they get bowls as well to stand in.