Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope your DD is is okay and your pediatrician has a healthy fear of Lyme disease.
Thanks! She does, she’s told me in an office visit she treats pretty readily. Just waiting for the office to get their act together and call me back I would guess. They’re so busy there…

I used to make so many homemade snacks but with DS’s arrival and his um… boy-ness? Lol… I’ve gotten bad about it. He’s my wild child! But I’m starting to be able to do a bit more now, he can sort of entertain himself for a minute or two 🤣

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had 2 birthdays in our house plus Halloween in the past week… so today was supposed to be a return to normalcy. But then DD2 had an engorged tick on her😩 so waiting to hear back from her pediatrician regarding antibiotics. The deer ticks have been bad this fall, which is not normal for us.
ticks have been really strong here too this fall--dog has had 2 deer ticks from walking in the woods.

hope she is doing ok!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never managed to get meds yesterday because of the stupid doctor’s office 😡 going to get them today, thanks to the pharmacy that is insanely more helpful than the nurse at the office. Sheesh. But other than the site of the bite being pretty sore, she’s feeling fine! Thanks everyone 😊

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:cafA coffee Ramble

I think a lot of health issues are connected to convenience- no time to cook, so dont buy food that needs prepped and cooked,
People are busy, working and living life the best they can and how they learned..............
Food in households changed many,many,many years ago, I think the WW 1 &2 played a big part
The New Deal definitely didn't help.
Yes, there are days that I feel like I never left the kitchen and there is just 2 of us now. But when I have a lot to do outside I pre cook stuff or make easy stuff like tacos, burgers, spaghetti . I know some cant do this, they have to work away from home.

When I was still working, grocery management, there were 3 major cooking events- the first was Thanksgiving. It was like people hadn't cooked all year and now were making everything they could think of, Christmas was more of snack stuff, ham and parties,
Easter was a big one. So if I ordered enough for the store to cover Thanksgiving, I still had stuff to get through to Easter. The rest of the year all involved a LOT of Beer and quick finger food.

Every household is different,
but this I can say, there is a LOT of talk of food shortages. One market has enough food for the local area for one maybe 2 weeks, thats it.

Getting kids to eat something that good for them and they dont like it and it is all there is,,,,,,,, ,
Even Adults are picky and sometimes more than kids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The old saying, "Making Do " = to meet one's day-to-day needs , is right around the corner
I think we need to train ourselves to make do
eat smaller portions, what is actually one serving
clean your plate
think before you buy something, what is the food value of what you are buying, will it actually provide nutrition

in my house to my kids if you didn't eat your lunch you got it for dinner - you dont eat your dinner you get it for breakfast, clean your plate, no one was aloud to be picky, you eat what I cook or you dont eat, there are no snacks, we have apples and popcorn, thats it, cakes were on BD's, . I you are still hungry after dinner and there is some dinner left, heat it up.

I am not saying to not buy frozen pizza, cuz I do and doctor it up,

I think you all are smart and already know all this rant,

IMG_0206.JPG
hahahaha More Coffee any one????

fc2b377940327da9dd95d30f7427776d.jpg

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:cafA coffee Ramble

I think a lot of health issues are connected to convenience- no time to cook, so dont buy food that needs prepped and cooked,
People are busy, working and living life the best they can and how they learned..............
Food in households changed many,many,many years ago, I think the WW 1 &2 played a big part
The New Deal definitely didn't help.
Yes, there are days that I feel like I never left the kitchen and there is just 2 of us now. But when I have a lot to do outside I pre cook stuff or make easy stuff like tacos, burgers, spaghetti . I know some cant do this, they have to work away from home.

When I was still working, grocery management, there were 3 major cooking events- the first was Thanksgiving. It was like people hadn't cooked all year and now were making everything they could think of, Christmas was more of snack stuff, ham and parties,
Easter was a big one. So if I ordered enough for the store to cover Thanksgiving, I still had stuff to get through to Easter. The rest of the year all involved a LOT of Beer and quick finger food.

Every household is different,
but this I can say, there is a LOT of talk of food shortages. One market has enough food for the local area for one maybe 2 weeks, thats it.

Getting kids to eat something that good for them and they dont like it and it is all there is,,,,,,,, ,
Even Adults are picky and sometimes more than kids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The old saying, "Making Do " = to meet one's day-to-day needs , is right around the corner
I think we need to train ourselves to make do
eat smaller portions, what is actually one serving
clean your plate
think before you buy something, what is the food value of what you are buying, will it actually provide nutrition

in my house to my kids if you didn't eat your lunch you got it for dinner - you dont eat your dinner you get it for breakfast, clean your plate, no one was aloud to be picky, you eat what I cook or you dont eat, there are no snacks, we have apples and popcorn, thats it, cakes were on BD's, . I you are still hungry after dinner and there is some dinner left, heat it up.

I am not saying to not buy frozen pizza, cuz I do and doctor it up,

I think you all are smart and already know all this rant,

View attachment 16925hahahaha More Coffee any one????

View attachment 16924
This was great--yes I know all of it but sometimes a slap in the face reminder is needed as well.

I will admit, I do make separate meals for the DDs some nights depending on what is going on and who needs to be where and ultimately how I feel. But there is always fresh/preserved fruits and veggies on the table and every night DO NOT end with a dessert--though that is how I grew up, homemade but still always a sweet, which likely plays into my lack of self control sometimes. lol

I try and prepare as much as possible--we have store bought canned and frozen food, home preserved canned and frozen and freeze dried foods. But there are days where I am nervous--never scared because God will provide--that there won't be enough or something will run out. Will we make do, yep! Will it be hard, yep! but we will survive :)