• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think we need to train ourselves to make do
eat smaller portions, what is actually one serving
clean your plate
think before you buy something, what is the food value of what you are buying, will it actually provide nutrition

in my house to my kids if you didn't eat your lunch you got it for dinner - you dont eat your dinner you get it for breakfast, clean your plate, no one was aloud to be picky, you eat what I cook or you dont eat, there are no snacks, we have apples and popcorn, thats it, cakes were on BD's, . I you are still hungry after dinner and there is some dinner left, heat it up.

I am not saying to not buy frozen pizza, cuz I do and doctor it up,
I agree with most of what you write, but picky eating, appetite, cravings, and large portion sizes are not a self-control, discipline, or training problem. They're caused by what people are eating! This isn't a situation where people can "just do it." They need to eat differently, and right now that requires money or outdoor space for growing and time. Unfortunately, access to healthy food is not equitable.

I've been experimenting over here. When I took my kids 100% off foods that contain "natural flavor" their cravings, appetite and feeding habits changed. DS6 used to be the kid to expect fast food every time we were in the car, but now if I'm in a similar situation I will stop at a gas station to get hard-boiled eggs, cut veggies, etc - nothing with added flavoring.

Whole plant foods contain toxins, which are believed to be the primary factor in limiting appetite and portion size. Anyone with a garden has experienced it. The first tomatoes of the year are magical and we can't get enough, but pretty soon we just couldn't eat another tomato and start feeding them to livestock or neighbors. Part of the problem with modern foods is they're not toxic enough. :eek:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you write, but picky eating, appetite, cravings, and large portion sizes are not a self-control, discipline, or training problem. They're caused by what people are eating! This isn't a situation where people can "just do it." They need to eat differently, and right now that requires money or outdoor space for growing and time. Unfortunately, access to healthy food is not equitable.

I've been experimenting over here. When I took my kids 100% off foods that contain "natural flavor" their cravings, appetite and feeding habits changed. DS6 used to be the kid to expect fast food every time we were in the car, but now if I'm in a similar situation I will stop at a gas station to get hard-boiled eggs, cut veggies, etc - nothing with added flavoring.

Whole plant foods contain toxins, which are believed to be the primary factor in limiting appetite and portion size. Anyone with a garden has experienced it. The first tomatoes of the year are magical and we can't get enough, but pretty soon we just couldn't eat another tomato and start feeding them to livestock or neighbors. Part of the problem with modern foods is they're not toxic enough. :eek:
Yes Totally agree real food matters!
with a but, Sometimes,,,,,, but picky eating, and large portion sizes are not a self-control, discipline, or training problem. They're caused by what people are eating! ,,,,,

as I have found attitude does get in the way, not always but sometimes,,,,

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i think you're using that word rather strangely...
Referring to lectins and such in plants. The Plant Paradox and The Dorito Effect books explain it. Plant Paradox poses it as a bad thing, but Dorito Effect shows it's benefit in appetite control. Many substances which promote human health in small amounts, like sulforaphane, are actually toxic.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Referring to lectins and such in plants. The Plant Paradox and The Dorito Effect books explain it. Plant Paradox poses it as a bad thing, but Dorito Effect shows it's benefit in appetite control. Many substances which promote human health in small amounts, like sulforaphane, are actually toxic.
Ya one of my daughters told me about plant paradox several years ago, I soak my beans for 2 days , let them start to sprout, then cook them

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got horrified by a chili recipe video I saw last night. It called for cooking navy beans on low in a slow cooker. Screaming "No! BAD! BAD!" In the comments doesn't do any good though.

You're apparently not allowed to put negative comments on amature cooking videos or you get attacked. Like when I pointed out the quick bread on one was visibly not done. The video maker posted a clip of her "checking" the bread with a toothpicks. In only the upper third of it. The bottom was mostly raw because she doesn't have basic cooking knowledge of how to make layers.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

lectins are destroyed by cooking (when done properly).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya one of my daughters told me about plant paradox several years ago, I soak my beans for 2 days , let them start to sprout, then cook them

i never bother to soak beans. i do make sure to cook them thoroughly and they're fine for eating. i eat many pounds of beans a year of all sorts.

at higher elevations you do need to make sure beans get to the right temperature and for sure in a slow cooker on low they have to also get up to the right temperature for long enough. i don't cook them that ways ever. always get them to a full boil to start and then i turn them down to a simmer until they are done, but it is a boil and we're not far above sea level so the temperature is good enough.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't usually eat just beans. I like to use them in soups, though. They get a nice hot cooking on the stove.

And now I want some oxtail soup.
Well! ,,, hahahah it just so happens that yesterday I finished the chicken bone broth and then put 2 cups of 13 bean in and cooked it @flowerbug all day and did not soak first, because it was a last minute Aa-Ha :gig
after the beans were soft I added 2 cups of rice. Yes, I WAS going to make a pot of chili, but saw this jar on the shelf and went for it.
So that will be good for lunch
IMG_0208.JPG