Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Spent the weekend on a road trip with my eldest to visit a long-time friend I originally met on BYC and followed here. Earlier in the year I scored a case of canning lids that we took to her. Just in the nick of time, mind you. Lolol.

Got to play around in the garden, picked okra to bring home. Great times.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Raising Leghorn chicks that were supposed to be Cornish Rocks.
That's a GREAT big difference. Even regular cornish to leghorns is a huge difference. But at the bright side you get more eggs, don't have a butcher date that you can't extend to your convienence even if it is a smaller bird. You can even just wait until you get tired of all the roo's next year then do them in.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's a GREAT big difference. Even regular cornish to leghorns is a huge difference. But at the bright side you get more eggs, don't have a butcher date that you can't extend to your convienence even if it is a smaller bird. You can even just wait until you get tired of all the roo's next year then do them in.
I did want to get Leghorns, but in the future. It's okay though. All good on the bright side. I'll just have to find more egg customers.

Last edited:

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to palm some duck eggs off to the neighbours but no interest. So today I left two for crow waiting patiently on the wisteria. I dont mind having big birds like that hanging overhead just before snake season.

The corner of the garden is underwater again and it is cold today. I am going to go hunting for seeds in the shops over the next few weeks to get my spring/summer veggies going. Im still very small scale, just enough for me and the pets.

Im still looking for a dog to add to the household but there are just so few little ones available here. The "adopt dont shop" crowd have left us very little choice here... Its a big aggressive bull dog or no dog. So, still no dog for me. I need something small or not at all.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to palm some duck eggs off to the neighbours but no interest. So today I left two for crow waiting patiently on the wisteria. I dont mind having big birds like that hanging overhead just before snake season.

The corner of the garden is underwater again and it is cold today. I am going to go hunting for seeds in the shops over the next few weeks to get my spring/summer veggies going. Im still very small scale, just enough for me and the pets.

Im still looking for a dog to add to the household but there are just so few little ones available here. The "adopt dont shop" crowd have left us very little choice here... Its a big aggressive bull dog or no dog. So, still no dog for me. I need something small or not at all.
This is why we preach adopt or shop RESPONSIBLY. Adopt don’t shop people drive me nuts

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

The shelters here have mostly pit bulls and their mixes, and a few other large breeds. Hardly ever any small dogs (except Chihuahuas). I found my dog (a miniature poodle) on an on-line classified ad site. The small dogs on the on-line classified listings go fast, so I had to hurry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's mostly chihuahua or pitbull mixes here, too.

We got Zeus from the east side of Oregon so there are more herding types there. He's an Australian shepherd x Australian cattle dog. High kill shelter, but they try to advertise puppies and highly adoptable dogs.

Athena isn't the best bred german shepherd but from working watch dogs over in that same area. Looks like the normal American pet quality, not the show lines.

I've looked at some good DDR and Czech line ones, but I think their drive is too much for our lifestyle and chickens.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, all of my best animals have been given to me for free. Even my best show horses were free! So it gets old quick when people assume wanting something size or breed specific is out of greed or selfishness.

My family dog growing up was a bull dog bitza, lovely girl and lived until 18 years old. So I know that a dog like that would not fit in to my lifestyle now.

I applied for a miniature poodle rescue last week - aggressive with children (no kids here) and even that was $1200 and adopted within 24 hours of the ad going up. Of course all I got was an autoreply telling me not to give up on the rescue hunt. I've been at it a fair while though, so starting to lose hope. I just cant justify spending thousands on the purchase price of a dog.

I do expect to see more oodle dogs with behavioral issues over the next few years, so I might get a cheapy that way. But it can be frustrating fixing issues others have caused. I dont know if it will be worth it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was looking for another schipperke a decade back. Looked at some rescues. Many of the rescues were actually more invasive into your life than human adoption agencies.

No, I am not aggreeing to let you show up randomly at my house twice a month for two years so you can inspect the whole house. No I am not letting you tell me that a fenced yard must be solid wood or chainlink with holes no bigger than 1 inch. Chainlink is 2 inches. No I am not having every other animal I own spayed or neutered. No I am not signing a contract saying I won't have children. No I will not agree to never let children near the dog.

That all was for a 3 month old mixed breed puppy.

We gave up and just checked the shelter by Mom. They actually don't have much in requirements other than paying them. That's how we ended up with Zeus. He was just over 4 months and food aggressive. He also was terrified of people and had a lot of issues with submissive urination. Fiery the elderly schipperke, and Athena the GSD puppy gave Zeus a lot of weird looks over the food. Finally he realized there was always food available and calmed down. I learned fast you couldn't use treats to train him, so I used tons of praise. He loves people now because he knows how to give the eyes and get petted. No issues with him now.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes! I totally agree. I have found that too with some rescues. Even rabbit rescues were super invasive! Its quite off putting. Some breeders are a bit like that too now, wanting to keep in touch with regular updates and home visits, desexing contracts and specific trainers. I just want to tell them to settle down, they are breeding cross bred poodles, not unicorns! I miss the ease of pet shops and dont think these "registered pet breeders" are any better than back yard breeding, its just that the prices are much higher now. One litter brings in more than I live on in an entire year.

Athena and Zeus are GREAT names for dogs, I love it. Our old bully dog used to do the eyes as well, we called it her "pet shop look" that pleading sooky look of PICK ME! LOVE ME!

This advert was marked as URGENT on gumtree... if it was that urgent, wouldnt ya drop the price a little?

Screenshot_20210822-223632.png

I got my boy bun for free and told the owners that I have a rabbit instagram account she can follow. It always makes me happy when she likes the pictures of him, and its not hassle for me since I use insta to store all their cutest pics anyway. She (and her kids) can see that the bun is cared for, and I dont have to go out of my way. I would do the same for a dog if it was privately adopted, but Im not letting home checks and contracts into the deal!

Besides my little puppy tantrum, today is pretty great :D Having a coffee now, watching Heartland until my next stint in the garden. A load of washing to go out, then lunch and throwing the scraps to the duckies. Very relaxed Monday.