Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It is all ... uh... a fact finding detective game?

Celiac child would react to the milk if I fed the goats too much gluten. That surprised me. The milk is made from the blood.... so how does the gluten go from the feed, to the blood stream, and then the milk? But.... clearly it does.

It was definitely more difficult to find fully gluten free goat feed.

Cow milk from the store (once we cut out gluten from celiac kid's diet), didn't bother him, and you KNOW those cattle must be fed gluten. I suppose the pasteurization denatures any gluten?

Anyway... all mind blowing trying to wade through all info to figure out what works and what doesn't.
I had a similar-but-different issue here. I was having problems with wheat and dairy. I had allergy test done - negative. DNA test shows I don't have the genes associated with lactose intolerance or celiac. Sometimes wheat or dairy products would be fine and other times I was sick. I react to the the vitamin fortification in milk. The vitamin A and an incidental ingredient in the vitamin D3. (Incidental ingredients are not labeled, the one that affected me was polysorbate). Enriched wheat products make me sick but unenriched products do not.

@NH Homesteader it sounds like your family is a little more straightforward because kiddos don't tolerate home-grown goat milk either. It's appalling to me to find out that my careful label-reading habit doesn't matter that much. I have to contact manufacturers and hope they will share their incidental ingredients.

I figured out this week that rennet in cheese has incidental ingredients. The package of rennet I picked up had my allergen in it. I suspect this is why I react to some cheese and not others. I'm waiting to hear back from manufacturers. I might need to learn to make cheese too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a point. To reach my age and not be gulping prescription pills is almost unheard of. My Daddy always had a garden. Sure, I had my share of junk food, but the fresh garden vegetables made its mark. As an adult, I’ve had few times that I didn’t have a garden. My mother developed an allergy to nightshade vegetables in her 50’s. I now break out from contact with tomato vines.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If anyone wants to investigate what is going on, particularly with each generation being more ill, the book Deep Nutrition by Dr. Cate Shanahan has it covered. Fascinating stuff. :eek: I adore the book, it's a favorite I keep re-reading.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If anyone wants to investigate what is going on, particularly with each generation being more ill, the book Deep Nutrition by Dr. Cate Shanahan has it covered. Fascinating stuff. :eek: I adore the book, it's a favorite I keep re-reading.
If you're more into politics and policies and how the nutritional SHTF, try The Future of Nutrition by Colin Campbell PhD. I couldn't read it straight through, it was enraging.