SS deer counter.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Every state has its own laws and they can change from year to year.

I don't know all the particulars about Illinois but in my situation I can get free landowner permits. You have to have at least 40 acres. I have 100 acres. I can get 1 antlerless only and 1 either sex for gun season and the same thing for bow season. My wife can get the same thing. We have the potential to get 8 deer a year off our 100 acres. She doesn't hunt but might start, she does have a bow. I don't even bother with the draw so I don't know how it works.

In addition, the last time I checked you can get over the counter doe tags during bow season. Shoot a doe, buy another tag, shoot another doe, and so on.

Here in Southern Illinois we have an abundance of deer. It seems that the more they are hunted the more they reproduce. Even though it seems that the population would be severely reduced it isn't happening. Gun season is when the pressure is on and it is for a short time. Three days this weekend, 4 days starting December 4, and then a short muzzle loader only season, and I think a short handgun season. This weekend was when most of the hunters were in out. From now until the middle of January when bow season ends there won't be as many hunters.

It is prime deer habitat down here; oak-hickory forest, lots of corn and soybeans, lots of fence rows, lots of hiding places, bedding places, and lots of food. Very few predators; coyotes, bobcats and people are about it and coyotes and bobcats aren't that much of a threat except to the sick, injured, and young fawns.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Good idea now, maybe at the end of hunting season, lets sayjanuary first, (new year) We do a deer pool:
smallest
largest
most points
most antler mass
biggest buck
smallest buck
biggest doe
smallest doe.
Maaaybe :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Sounds good but I didn't weigh or measure mine in any way. Would have to use my shotgun for scale or the leg tag which is two inches wide.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Sounds good but I didn't weigh or measure mine in any way. Would have to use my shotgun for scale or the leg tag which is two inches wide.
Ok, sorry dac but it looked pretty small. Good eating though :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Add a doe and a buck from my son, Eli, and a doe this summer on a crop permit....we don't really count that as a sport kill, as it was out of season and with a gun (we don't do gun kills normally). :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Add a doe and a buck from my son, Eli, and a doe this summer on a crop permit....we don't really count that as a sport kill, as it was out of season and with a gun (we don't do gun kills normally). :)
added them. Are the buck and the doe hunted deer or crop permit deer.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I have the only doe. Does everyone else live in a buck only area or is it a tradition to just shoot bucks? Ever notice the word does?

Guess I should have hunted harder and filled my other gun tag. There is still the remainder of bow season.
Having just read this post....and dac's reply I just wanted to say....unless you are able to get an antlerless deer tag, you must shoot a buck, 4" or more one side. That is how it is up here. Keep in mind dac, this was my first legal deer......all the other ones were does, lol.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
roosmom said:
dacjohns said:
I have the only doe. Does everyone else live in a buck only area or is it a tradition to just shoot bucks? Ever notice the word does?

Guess I should have hunted harder and filled my other gun tag. There is still the remainder of bow season.
Having just read this post....and dac's reply I just wanted to say....unless you are able to get an antlerless deer tag, you must shoot a buck, 4" or more one side. That is how it is up here. Keep in mind dac, this was my first legal deer......all the other ones were does, lol.
So you have illegally taken deer?

Latest posts